The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Question - CAL HS rules - Can the center ever be eligible? I understand number and positioning requirements, but what if there is not a number requirement? (as it is at sub varsity levels) Thanks for your help.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by youmakethecall
Question - CAL HS rules - Can the center ever be eligible? I understand number and positioning requirements, but what if there is not a number requirement? (as it is at sub varsity levels) Thanks for your help.
If you're asking if the snapper can be eligible then the answer is yes. He must be positioned on the end of the line and numbered 1-49 or 80-99 (if the #ing rule is in affect)
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, there's no such thing as CAL HS rules. California plays by NFHS rules, as do 47 other states.

If there are no numbering requirements, then the snapper would still have to be on the end of the line to be eligible.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 06:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Canadian Ruling:

Yes, the centre may be eligible if (s)he is at the end of the line, and is numbered from 1-39 or 70-99, or other if reported.

Mike
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

In this area we recently found a few teams that are using the "swinging gate" with the center eligible.

All the linemen except for the center line up to one side of the line a few yards away from the center. The center, QB and another back line up in an I. Sometimes they shift into a regular formation or sometimes not. It is the not when the center stays eligible.

You have to sure they still meet all the numbering and positioning requirements whether they shift or not.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen swinging gate. This 'formation' isn't very good and teams that have usually aren't very good either.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

I've seen the swinging gate used on extra points. AND... it was a good team. It caused concern among officials as to how to cover the extra point with a 5-man crew.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

"I understand number and positioning requirements, but what if there is not a number requirement? (as it is at sub varsity levels)"

Where did you read there are no numbering restrictions in sub-varsity high school?

Bob
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I would guess they play by modified rules.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"I understand number and positioning requirements, but what if there is not a number requirement? (as it is at sub varsity levels)"

Where did you read there are no numbering restrictions in sub-varsity high school?

Bob
Usually, youth league forego the numbering requirement for obvious reasons. However, positioning requirements are there -- seven men on the line, only players on the end of the line are eligible to go downfield on a pass play.

Does make our job harder when number 55 can legally go downfield.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Swinging gate is a good thing.

The swinging gate is a great formation because it makes the defense have to respect the threat of a quick pass or run behind the wall of lineman near the sideline. Or they can throw or run to the lone flanker at the other side. The defense has to have two players over there just in case the QB decides to run. Also, the center can be an eligible receiver and this creates another player the defense has to cover.

Then of course, when the gate swings over and they go into a kicking formation, the defense is placed at a disadvantage because they cannot get set into a kick-blocking defense as quickly.

Swinging gate makes it tough for a 5 man crew to cover. What I've seen most crews do is that the BJ covers the goalposts and his first responsibility is to judge if the kick is above the crossbar, LJ stays home on the line. If its a kick the R moves behind the kicker to judge if the ball is between the uprights.