The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
They showed [well parts of anyway..]the classic 1966 war between Notre Dame and Michigan..possibly the oldest football game you will ever see on TV..First before getting on topic,it was amazing of the number of quality pro players that came out of that game: Bubba Smith, Rocky Bleier, Alan Page, Terry Hanratty, Gene Washington..and to get this ON topic, working at back judge in only his first full season as a Big Ten official: Jerry Markbreit!** Now for some observations:

1. Boy was the game better then! No fifty million commercial timeouts...it just SEEMS like that crew was moving at double time-setting that ball,and winding that play clock...what a nice pace that game had! Especially after sitting through an afternoon of 3 1/2 hour NFL garbage....

2. I know the Big Ten is a conservative league,after all they were the last major conference to go to ref mics,and probably the last to have their officials identified by position...BUT in 1966 their officials were STILL only raising one arm or pointing to signal a score..with only the R raising both arms..VERY strange to see...and oh yes....everyone bending WAY low while indicating incomplete passes or refused penalties

3. To show you how diluted the bowl thing is nowadays- Michigan State went 9-0-1...ND went 9-0-1 that year..and neither went to a bowl! That was in the middle of ND's 'no bowl' policy and The Big Ten's 'You can't go to a bowl two years in a row' policy...can you imagine THAT today???

I only wish ESPN had extended the program slot to 3 hours so we could have seen the whole game AND have the interviews with Rocky Bleier...and maybe an interview with Markbreit too! Ill bet they didnt evenrealize he was there...he surely is as recognizable to people today as Bubba or Bleier these days! Was very strange to see him working that game....as it is strange whenever Classic reruns any of the Ohio State-Michigan games he worked ..or the Rose Bowl he worked or....
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Back then, Notre Dame was not allowed to go to a bowl game (rule by Notre Dame administration). There was a breakthrough soon after when they went to the Cotton Bowl to play Texas (SWC Champion). They had some great games with Texas in the Cotton Bowl. And only the Big Ten CHAMPION went to a bowl, The Rose. Back in 1961, Ohio State won the Big Ten and their administration wouldn't let them go to the Rose Bowl. It must have been a backlash against Woody Hayes by the administration.

1960's: There weren't a bunch of meaningless bowls and you didn't get in by getting 6 wins (mostly against cupcakes.) It was a 10 game schedule in most cases. Minnesota is perfect example today of cupcake schedule getting into a bowl.

Did anyone notice the officials' uniforms? Baggier pants, no stripes on the socks (which were stirrups) and white collar on the shirts. Also, I noticed the wing officials were on the field. I started in 1975 and we still had black stirrups, no stripes. I can remember RED flags when I was a kid, but I don't know when they changed. I still think that a red flag would be good in an afternoon game on a dry field (that looks like straw).

Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

"I still think that a red flag would be good in an afternoon game on a dry field (that looks like straw)."

The yellow (gold) flags came in because red shows up as gray on black/white TV, and couldn't be seen too well.

Bob

Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Since 99.9% of all FB games played are not televised, I wondered about that reason. I guess the tail wags the dog.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I remember seeing the classic 1958 championship game between the Giant and Colts on ESPN. What struck me most was after making some huge plays like a sack how the players simply picked themselves of the ground and walked back to the huddle. No flexing, high fives or "look at me" antics. After a touchdown, flip the ball to the official and a few handshakes then get ready for the try.