The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How many of you guys get film to review at meetings?? As in that thread below,"first down". We were reviewing some film at our mid-season meeting, the complaints from coaches about some officials was mostly mechanics issues, such as the U missing on numerous plays the 2 and 3 backs popping the linebackers below the knees, runner was getting some good yardage after the first 2 of these illegal blockings, another common miss was the crack-back...we have the wingers call that, and they are usually newer than the guys in the middle....I know it took me a good season to really get that one down!!!!
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Around here we get game tape to review ourselves.

Most, if not all, athletic directors will give you a copy of their game tape if you ask. I have always taken my own to them with a mailer already addressed and with postage so that it doesn't cost them anything. We have done this each of the last four seasons. In a special case last year I had my brother go with us to a game. We asked if he could stand in the press box and tape the game for us to review. They had no problem with it. He was able to tape us and not follow the ball through the air like tv camera men do. We got a much higher quality tape to review from this game. Game tape review is very helpful as you can see what you look like and see what you did instead of remember what you did.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Around here we get game tape to review ourselves.

Most, if not all, athletic directors will give you a copy of their game tape if you ask. I have always taken my own to them with a mailer already addressed and with postage so that it doesn't cost them anything. We have done this each of the last four seasons. In a special case last year I had my brother go with us to a game. We asked if he could stand in the press box and tape the game for us to review. They had no problem with it. He was able to tape us and not follow the ball through the air like tv camera men do. We got a much higher quality tape to review from this game. Game tape review is very helpful as you can see what you look like and see what you did instead of remember what you did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
We did review it ourselves....it was team film brout to assc from the coaches, reviewed in group setting. Not a great idea, should be brought to crews attention, to avoid conflict. Better way!! Have crew chief drop 600 clams on nice video disc camera(like I just did) and have him bring it with an operator!!! I do enjoy the idea of film footage of ourselves, can only improve oneself.

I have seen some of my baseball stuff on tv and obtained some video from FED schools over the past 10 seasons, boy did I seee some bad crap years ago! Much better now, only had 1 bad game in football this year, we all sucked that one.............
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: While it's great to be able to evaluate yourselves from film, it typically isn't recorded for that purpose and you find that much of what you and your crew do--or fail to do--isn't even captured. We have two of our local members who currently work in the NFL. They often share their training films with us. It's not unusual to have an entire film devoted to "holding" or "OPI" or "late hits." These films are real game action with great clarity that point out the good, the bad, and the ugly with the supervisor's voice-over. You can learn an awful lot from that type of thing.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: While it's great to be able to evaluate yourselves from film, it typically isn't recorded for that purpose and you find that much of what you and your crew do--or fail to do--isn't even captured.
I agree with this. I dare say that getting game film is a waste of tiem (at least from the AD's). I did this at a game this past year, the only offical tyou could see most of the time was the umpire and the field judge. The cut the tape when the whistle blew and didn't start it until the ball was whistled for play. Not much useful info.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: While it's great to be able to evaluate yourselves from film, it typically isn't recorded for that purpose and you find that much of what you and your crew do--or fail to do--isn't even captured. We have two of our local members who currently work in the NFL. They often share their training films with us. It's not unusual to have an entire film devoted to "holding" or "OPI" or "late hits." These films are real game action with great clarity that point out the good, the bad, and the ugly with the supervisor's voice-over. You can learn an awful lot from that type of thing.
I totally agree.
Teams aren't concerned with what goes on during dead ball periods so they typically shut the camera off at those times.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
In a special case last year I had my brother go with us to a game. We asked if he could stand in the press box and tape the game for us to review. They had no problem with it. He was able to tape us and not follow the ball through the air like tv camera men do. We got a much higher quality tape to review from this game.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
We did review it ourselves....it was team film brout to assc from the coaches, reviewed in group setting. Not a great idea, should be brought to crews attention, to avoid conflict. Better way!! Have crew chief drop 600 clams on nice video disc camera(like I just did) and have him bring it with an operator!!! I do enjoy the idea of film footage of ourselves, can only improve oneself.
When we get tape from a school it isn't very good quality. At most you will see three of us on any play and sometimes there is just one of us shown. When my brother went with us I had him set up to where we were all in the shot at the snap. I had him zoom in so that both sidelines were in the shot but not a lot of sky. I also brought the tripod so that he could just pivot the camera slowly to follow the play. These things helped keep the players in focus, us in the shot, and made it all easier to watch. With this it was easier to see the nose-guard hit the center upside the head during a rush. Good call by U. One of the main things I don't like about school-supplied tapes is that the camera person likes to follow the ball in the air. Guess they don't know that the ball can't, and never will, commit a foul.