The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I am a custodian in a high school and got permission by two coachs, one being the head coach to shot photos of the game and was going to give prints to the school. Part of my job is taking care and lining the field.
The head security at this game contacted the A.D. and school principal about excorting me off the field during the game because she said it was against IHSA rules for me to be out there. This was on a Sat. and on Monday she approached me and harassed me twice about me being out there. I got permission by the head coach and other coaches to shoot the game and they said nothing, they knew I was out there.

I was not paid for the photography, all expenses were covered by me.

Is the harassment stand up about me being on the side lines about IHSA rules like she said? Was it okay by IHSA rules okay for me to photograh the game. I am employed by the school and she knew me and they all knew me.

Please help with the confusion here, thank you.

photoman
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

You have to get an answer to that from one of the Illnois guys, if they know the answer. JRutledge or MSears should be along shortly. That's really not an issue the officials would normally deal with, unless you were interfering with the game. So they may not know the answer.

Personnally, it seems to me like the head of security has a burr up her ***.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I am an assistant athletic administrator at an IHSA School and i can not recall any by-law or anything in the terms and conditions for football phrohibiting this. The only thing i could possibly think of is that they were afraid of workers comp. or liability issues, but ill go over some by- laws and ill see what i can find. What level school are you 1A-8A. This is not a playing rule though just as long as you dont interfere
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by photo
I am a custodian in a high school and got permission by two coachs, one being the head coach to shot photos of the game and was going to give prints to the school. Part of my job is taking care and lining the field.
The head security at this game contacted the A.D. and school principal about excorting me off the field during the game because she said it was against IHSA rules for me to be out there. This was on a Sat. and on Monday she approached me and harassed me twice about me being out there. I got permission by the head coach and other coaches to shoot the game and they said nothing, they knew I was out there.

I was not paid for the photography, all expenses were covered by me.

Is the harassment stand up about me being on the side lines about IHSA rules like she said? Was it okay by IHSA rules okay for me to photograh the game. I am employed by the school and she knew me and they all knew me.

Please help with the confusion here, thank you.

photoman
No PLAYING rule in the rulebook forbids a photographer from being on the sidelines as long as you don't interfere or make comments about the officiating.

However, the IHSA did make it a point of emphasis to try to keep sidelines from becoming cluttered with people who shouldn't be there. This point of emphasis was a security and safety concern for coaches, players, and game officials. Providing security for all is one of the duties of the AD and/or School Principle. If you were in the coaches box (in front of players) or directly on the sidelines outside of the coaches box, you might have been seen as a hazard to the players and game officials.

Bottom line is that in the future, I'd urge you to contact the school AD and/or Principle if you want to be on the sidelines because THEY are the ones who are responsible for providing security for the games.

[Edited by mikesears on Nov 7th, 2003 at 06:35 AM]
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 02:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb One explanation.

There is no rule that prohibits anyone being on the sideline that is a photographer in Illinois. The only rule prohit coaches and players not in the game being on the coaches.

I have to add this as well. If you are a photographer and you are not directly associated with the school or the visiting team, the game management can remove you from any place that you are located if you are intefering. It does not mean that is what you are doing, but depending on the school and the field configuration, you might be located in a place that the school considers unsafe.

I was not there and did not see what you saw, but that is just an explaination.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on Nov 7th, 2003 at 01:41 PM]