The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

This play happened in a recent high school game,played under Federation rules. Team A trailing 25-19, first and goal from B's 5 yard line, with 0:02 left in the game. A1 runs a pass route through the end zone, crosses and runs parallel to the end line, about 5 yards out of the end zone. A2's legal forward pass is thrown to A 1,who is contacted by B1, preventing A1 from catching the ball. Rule 7-5-6d states "...remains eligible throughout the down", but how would you rule? Does it make a difference if this were to happen with 2 seconds left in the first quarter?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Does what make a difference? He's OOB, it doesn't matter whether he catches the ball or not. I don't see that any foul has beenm committed.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

NF: The ruling does not matter what time remains on the clock.

By going OOB on his own, the team-A player commits an Illegal Participation foul when he returns to the field.
You are correct, he does not loose his eligibility as a receiver if you say he came back into the EZ, them the team-B defender would be guilty of committing DPI.

Fouls offset and the down is replayed.

[Edited by Theisey on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 09:25 PM]
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by David Hymel
This play happened in a recent high school game,played under Federation rules. Team A trailing 25-19, first and goal from B's 5 yard line, with 0:02 left in the game. A1 runs a pass route through the end zone, crosses and runs parallel to the end line, about 5 yards out of the end zone. A2's legal forward pass is thrown to A 1,who is contacted by B1, preventing A1 from catching the ball. Rule 7-5-6d states "...remains eligible throughout the down", but how would you rule? Does it make a difference if this were to happen with 2 seconds left in the first quarter?
if A1 comes back in bounds and is interfered with, it would be a double foul. illegal participation on A and pass interfeence on B, you will replay the down. the situation did not say if the pass interference was in bounds or out of bounds. if it was out of bounds, game over. i am wondering what call was made on that play?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

By going OOB on his own, the team-A player commits an Illegal Participation foul when he returns to the field.
You are correct, he does not loose his eligibility as a receiver if you say he came back into the EZ, them the team-B defender would be guilty of committing DPI.
Tom, he doesn't commit IP unless he returns. The play doesn't say that he returns.

That's why I said I have nothing.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Keep in mind if he was pushed out by the defense he could come back in. However I do not think this is the case since he ran a ways OOB. I agree no foul for DPI.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey

Tom, he doesn't commit IP unless he returns. The play doesn't say that he returns.

That's why I said I have nothing.
### Agree, Maybe David can ammend his play with informataion as to whether or not that Team-A player came back into the EZ after being 5 yards OOB.
I'm guessing the receiver did return to the EZ.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm confused, how come you have a no call for DPI?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Until David gives us a little more information, some are thinking that the team-A receiver did not come back into the EZ. I.e. he is still 5 yards or less OOB
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

You can't have PI when player is OOB? Could you point me to a rule reference, thanx
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

ok just a little fuel for the fire...lets assume that A1 stayed OOB and was contacted by B....how about a personal foul?? just a little fuel like I said...
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

If you have a personal foul, that's an entirely different animal. You would then set up an untimed down for A in our scenario. If A ran his route OB, too bad for him - no DPI. Now, if he was pushed out and was trying to return when he was interfered with, we have a little gray area. I would flag the PI. At the very least, illegal use of hands as the receiver would have to be even or moving away from the defender for him to have pushed him OB on the end line.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

If A is contacted OOB, you can still have DPI. Why couldn't you?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Let's say we're not in the EZ, but A is running his route outside the sideline. He cannot legally possess the pass, so interference is moot. PF's would be enforced (spearing, late hit etc.)
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

He cannot legally possess the pass, so interference is moot.

Where does it say that in the rules?