The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question came up in OT game this week....know teams carryover 2nd half timeouts to OT...then add 1 TO for the OT....can they carryover the added TO if it goes to a second OT? I know they can carry the unused 2nd half TO's to teh subsequent OT periods...but can they carry over teh added TO's per period?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on where you are. The NF OT procedure is optional. In NC and FL, OT TOs do not carry over from one OT to the next. I don't know aabout other states.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It depends on where you are. The NF OT procedure is optional. In NC and FL, OT TOs do not carry over from one OT to the next. I don't know aabout other states.
Where did you get your interpretation for Florida? The FHSAA Guidebook says simply, "The overtime procedure listed in the NFHS Rules Book is adopted for all contests ..." It says nothing about carryover time-outs. Therefore, by stating that time-outs do not carry over, you are in essence making an NFHS interpretation.

Your source, please? Or are you going solely on your reading of the procedure?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Our overtimes in VA carry over.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you get your interpretation for Florida? The FHSAA Guidebook says simply, "The overtime procedure listed in the NFHS Rules Book is adopted for all contests ..." It says nothing about carryover time-outs. Therefore, by stating that time-outs do not carry over, you are in essence making an NFHS interpretation.

Your source, please? Or are you going solely on your reading of the procedure? [/B][/QUOTE]

What type of OT proceedure does FL use? Just curious.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
Quote:

Your source, please? Or are you going solely on your reading of the procedure?
Middleman, this procedure has been discussed here several times over the past 2 or 3 years. Previously, when it was discussed, several Florida officials stated that they follow the same policy that we have in NC, that OT TOs do not carry over. I simply going by what was previously posted on this forum.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Middleman, this procedure has been discussed here several times over the past 2 or 3 years. Previously, when it was discussed, several Florida officials stated that they follow the same policy that we have in NC, that OT TOs do not carry over. I simply going by what was previously posted on this forum.
Oh ... okay. I don't recall those discussions.

jack015, we use the overtime procedure outlined in the back of the FED rule book - the so-called 10-Yard Line "Kansas City" tie-breaker. It is outlined starting on page 74.

3-5-1 gives each team "one additional time-out during each overtime period ... plus any unused second-half regulation game time-outs."

The use of the word "additional" leads me to believe they accumulate. The use of the words "during each overtime period" would lend credence to the opinion that they do not accumulate.

Frankly, I have never had to cross that bridge. I was hoping there was an authoritative opinion or official interpretation.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Bktballref
Help me on this - since I'm in NC, too. We've always been confused on it -- (since DK didn't do a good job explaining it years ago).

If Team A has 2 left at end of 2nd half and goes to OT -- they'll have a total of 3 . If they use none - and it goes to OT again - do they have 3 still?

If they used one - would they have 3 again?

The way we've looked at it - they cannot have more than they started with in the original OT.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by William C
Bktballref
Help me on this - since I'm in NC, too. We've always been confused on it -- (since DK didn't do a good job explaining it years ago).

If Team A has 2 left at end of 2nd half and goes to OT -- they'll have a total of 3 . If they use none - and it goes to OT again - do they have 3 still?

The way we've looked at it - they cannot have more than they started with in the original OT.

Thanks for the help.
The max. a team can have in any single OT period is 1 plus what remained from the 2nd half. Only the remaining 2nd half TO's carry over to subsequent OT periods.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Well, that's exactly what I thought...that only the regulation TO's carryover. And, the OT period TO is the first burned...and, that you could never have more than one TO from the OT existing. Luckily, we did not face the question even though we went two OT's. Urban legend, our LJ, said our interpreter had called Federation a couple years ago and was told they accumulate from the OT. I did not believe that was the case. I'm in Delaware and we useteh 10-yard Federation OT. Looking for the definitive answer.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by William C
Bktballref

Thanks for the help.
Yep Bill, that's correct. In fact, I ran into an official on the NFHS discussion forum with the same question. I found an email that came out from DK's office with the information in it.

If a team has 3 TO to use in the 1st OT, the first 1 they use is considered to be the OT TO. If they don't use another, they would have 3 in the 2nd OT but they would never have more than 3.