The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 02:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I am a white hat on occasion and I would NEVER suggest switching positions like this. To me, it is no different than the BJ telling me he's going to R and I'm going to BJ in the second half because he doesn't like the way I wind the clock.

I would've told the R to pound sand, but I never was very politically astute

Rich
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

The high school at which I taught had a video club that taped all
games, home and away, they had 5 cameras and a game tape was made with replay that aired over the local community access channel. I never worked their games (of course) but would get a copy for any officials who did.
You're right that the cameras are on the players, so you may not see
much of your own movements on the film; but it may show stuff at the point of attack that you may have missed. It also may vinidcate you when you make that great call !!
Once in a while I worked a "game of the week" in our area which was taped by the cable folks, and got to see myself in action. I did catch myself doing little things like tugging up on my pants, that helped me break those habits.
In a way, it's too bad that we all can't critique ourselves more !
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I never bring it to the game. I guess you can, but it doesn't feel right to me. I'd rather not have them see it's me, and I think it's more professional to send to the AD than the coach. I clear it with my supervisor beforehand as well, ...and NEVER discuss the game with the coach if they write me back and ask me to call. My supervisor feels it's not appropriate for me to do that, as it's something we as an association need to discuss if it's warranted. I agree with him. But that's just me. I just write a letter saying "I worked so-and-such game of yours, ...I'm working to become a better official and would you mind making me a copy so I can improve". Some of them I never get back. I guess they get the letter, and the tape and say "to heck with him". Just the way it goes. Not all of them I ask for.

The tape won't follow you but the players, and is not ideal, ...but unless you have someone who will come to the game and film you, etc. ...it's the best you can do. I wish I had better, ...but a game tape does have value.