The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 11, 2023, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

2023 NFHS Football Rules Question

Just reaching out to the group on a question on the test

This is one of the video questions: And i am confused or missed something about the video, also i am guessing you will have to see the video before answering so it might be a while.

51. During an onside kick attempt from K's 40-yard line, K32 blocks R7 at K's 49-yard line. The kick is rolling at K's 48-yard line and has not been touched at the time the block occurred. The onside kick is recovered by K at R's 46-yard line. What is the final result following any potential penalty enforcement?
A. No foul. K first and 10 on R's 46-yard line
B. Illegal block. K free kick from K's 30-yard line
C. Illegal block. K first and 10 on K's 39-yard line
D. Illegal block. K first and 10 on K's 44-yard line

All the answers have K keeping the ball? Got the ball with "DIRTY HANDS"

I do not think any of the answers are correct!!!

Rule 9 – Section 3
ART. 7 No member of the kicking team shall initiate contact to (Block) an opponent on a free kick until:
a. The legal kick has traveled 10 yards
b. The kicking team is eligible to recover a free-kicked ball, or
c. The receiving team imitates a block within the neutral zone.

Penalty: ART. 7 – Illegal Block – Live ball foul – 10 yards

So i think the correct answer would be

Illegal block. R first and 10 on K's 39-yard line

What am I missing here?? Thanks for the comments
Old Tue Jul 11, 2023, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

So I just now found the correct answer.

The correct answer is “B”

10-4-1 – this is a loose ball play !!!

Then going to 10-5-1J – Special Enforcement
Fouls by K during a free or scrimmage kick down prior to the end of the legal kick – 10-4-2 (Exception)

10-4-2 The basic spot MAY, at the option of the offending team, be the succeeding spot for fouls by K during a legal free kick or scrimmage kick down(other than kick catch interference) prior to the end of the kick when K will not be the next to put the ball into play

48. During an onside kick attempt from K's 40-yard line, K32 blocks R7 at K's 49-yard line. The kick is rolling at K's 48-yard line and has not been touched at the time the block occurred. The onside kick is recovered by K at R's 46-yard line. What is the final result following any potential penalty enforcement?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2023, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
Just reaching out to the group on a question on the test

This is one of the video questions: And i am confused or missed something about the video, also i am guessing you will have to see the video before answering so it might be a while.

51. During an onside kick attempt from K's 40-yard line, K32 blocks R7 at K's 49-yard line. The kick is rolling at K's 48-yard line and has not been touched at the time the block occurred. The onside kick is recovered by K at R's 46-yard line. What is the final result following any potential penalty enforcement?

All the answers have K keeping the ball? Got the ball with "DIRTY HANDS"
I think you're neglecting answer B -- unless you consider repeating a free kick to be keeping the ball.

Quote:
I do not think any of the answers are correct!!!

Rule 9 – Section 3
ART. 7 No member of the kicking team shall initiate contact to (Block) an opponent on a free kick until:
a. The legal kick has traveled 10 yards
b. The kicking team is eligible to recover a free-kicked ball, or
c. The receiving team imitates a block within the neutral zone.

Penalty: ART. 7 – Illegal Block – Live ball foul – 10 yards

So i think the correct answer would be

Illegal block. R first and 10 on K's 39-yard line

What am I missing here?? Thanks for the comments
You're missing that the foul is pre-possession. It's a foul during a loose ball, so the basic spot is the previous spot. If recovery had been by R, they'd've probably chosen to decline the penalty. But as long as the penalty is taken, the ball can only be put in play by the same team.

If the free kick in question had been a choice for a fair catch, then team K would have the option after the penalty of either kick or scrimmage. Then your scenario of keeping possession with dirty hands would be fulfilled.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2023, 07:38pm
Chain of Fools

10-4-2 Exception is an option by the "offendED" team not "offendING". R was the offended team but this is not applicable here because K recovered the onside kick and thus would be next to put the ball in play. Must use Loose ball play enforcement = previous spot.

B is the correct option, 10 yards back to the K30 for Illegal Block, re-kick. If R HAD recovered the kick, then they could have utilized the 10-4-2 Exception as a "tack-on" to make it 1-10 at K's 44 yardline.