The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 06, 2022, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

2022 POE's -- Illegal Equipment -- THOUGHTS

I have not gotten my new 2022 rule book, but found this on a nother site and was just wanting to get everyone's comment about it.

Under this year's POE's - Legal Uniforms & Equipment - there is this paragraph. "Any time a player is found to be participating with illegal equipment, the player is to be removed from the game AND (emphasis mine) the head coach should be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. Examples of illegal equipment but are not limited to: Eye shade that is not a solid stroke or includes words.......; eye shields that are not clear.......; play cards not worn on the wrist or arm;........"

The previous paragraph gives examples of "improperly worn equipment" such as knee pads not covering the knee, undershirts not tucked in, etc. As eye shade, eye shields, and play cards, are all legal equipment that are also being improperly worn in the POE's example, I'm not able discerning the difference.

When the rule changed to just sending players off, I was of the opinion that it wasn't really a huge penalty and that the coaches took it no more seriously than in the past during our "are you players legally equipped" portion of the pre-game conference.

I realize that each state will instruct their officials on what they want called but I can see a real issue on this for those who may decide to take a strict version of the POE into account.

So if one kid has illegal Eye shade that's 1 for the HC and then later another kid does not have his knee's covered that's 2 and he is gone?
Old Wed Jul 06, 2022, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ridiculous to have such a severe penalty for several violations that can only be very selectively enforced, including some that could come up any time during the contest.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2022, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Poe

I agree!!!! For them to put this in the POE's must be something going on!!! I will be glad to get my 2022 rule and case books
Old Fri Aug 05, 2022, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

You need to be aware of the difference between illegal equipment and improperly worn equipment. Knees uncovered should not get an unsportsmanlike called on a coach.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2022, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Catch it in the Warmup

Be diligent during the warmup period and you'll find 95% of these and fix them before the game starts.