The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Penalty enforcement spot (https://forum.officiating.com/football/105503-penalty-enforcement-spot.html)

MRD Sat Sep 11, 2021 07:32am

Penalty enforcement spot

Fed football. Is the penalty for offensive holding on a running play behind the line of scrimmage enforced from line of scrimmage or the spot of the fowl?

Robert Goodman Sat Sep 11, 2021 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRD (Post 1044706)
Fed football. Is the penalty for offensive holding on a running play behind the line of scrimmage enforced from line of scrimmage or the spot of the fowl?

A running play is not an exception to the 3-and-1 (all but one) enforcement algorithm. Line of scrimmage would never be an indicated enforcement spot for this foul (though it could accidentally coincide). Spot of the foul would apply only if it's behind where the run ended.

Spot of the fowl? You saying the player was a chicken?

MRD Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:55pm

Sorry, typo.😁

sorrydog Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25am

Another Punt Question

Watched a film this AM of a issue Friday night from a local crew during a punt.

Receiving team catches the ball at the 20. After the catch, we have holding by receiving team during the run at the 30. Run ends at the 40 and we have a facemask by the kicking team on the runner.

I'll disclosed the issue they had in enforcing the play after I get you guys take on enforcement.

JRutledge Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57am

Are you asking something? Not sure what the issue would be unless you tell us what they enforced.

Peace

HLin NC Mon Sep 20, 2021 01:32pm

All fouls are enforced from the basic spot. If the foul occurred behind the end of the run, which is the basic spot of a running play, then that is the "One" in All But One and thus would be enforced from the spot of the foul.

Similarly if it were a loose ball play, the basic spot is the previous spot. If the hold occurred behind the basic spot (previous spot, i.e. where the ball was snapped).

HLin NC Mon Sep 20, 2021 01:34pm

Another Punt Question

Shouldn't this be a new topic? It really has nothing to do with this post.

sorrydog Mon Sep 20, 2021 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1044866)
Are you asking something? Not sure what the issue would be unless you tell us what they enforced.

Peace

Well for some reason they called it off-setting and re-kicked. Still trying to get a answer from the crew why? Just wanted to see what U guys would enforce.

sorrydog Mon Sep 20, 2021 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1044866)

Peace

Seems other thought it was a question? Sorry, next time I'll make sure I'll put ???????? at end of the post.:D

JRutledge Mon Sep 20, 2021 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorrydog (Post 1044873)
Seems other thought it was a question? Sorry, next time I'll make sure I'll put ???????? at end of the post.:D

Did someone answer your question? All that was said was where is the basic spot between loose ball play and a running play. Your play did not ask what should be ruled or made clear what was done by the officials?

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Sep 21, 2021 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1044874)
Did someone answer your question? All that was said was where is the basic spot between loose ball play and a running play. Your play did not ask what should be ruled or made clear what was done by the officials?

Peace

I am not a football official, but I'd be interested int he proper enforcement (and NFHS and NCAA, if they differ) on a play where there are fouls by both teams after the punt.

JRutledge Tue Sep 21, 2021 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1044875)
I am not a football official, but I'd be interested int he proper enforcement (and NFHS and NCAA, if they differ) on a play where there are fouls by both teams after the punt.

It is a double foul and you would replay the down if everything is accepted. Or the Receiving team could decline the facemask to keep the ball after their holding penalty is enforced.

Pretty much the same rule as far as I know, but not totally sure if there is a different option at the NCAA level.

Peace