The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Three Man Crews (https://forum.officiating.com/football/105485-three-man-crews.html)

paulsonj72 Wed Aug 25, 2021 06:25pm

Three Man Crews

How often(in the old days) were three man crews used. I just bought a 1975 Minnesota State Playoff Program and for the two nine-man semi final games there were only three man crews. The other classes were using the standard four man crew. Just curious. I found it interesting that only three officials were used for football.

JRutledge Thu Aug 26, 2021 09:27am

I guess what is your consideration for the "olden days." In the 90s they used 4 person crews for much of the games in my state. It was in the mid to late 90s that 5 person became standard. But lower-level games having 3 officials (or 2) was common. But I am sure 3 were used at some time, just cannot tell you when. Most acted like they were always doing 4 for at least varsity and that goes back to the 80s and 70s from what I can remember.

Peace

paulsonj72 Fri Aug 27, 2021 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1044385)
I guess what is your consideration for the "olden days." In the 90s they used 4 person crews for much of the games in my state. It was in the mid to late 90s that 5 person became standard. But lower-level games having 3 officials (or 2) was common. But I am sure 3 were used at some time, just cannot tell you when. Most acted like they were always doing 4 for at least varsity and that goes back to the 80s and 70s from what I can remember.

Peace

I graduated from High School in 1990 and I remember the four man crews including when my high school played nine man. The year I saw three man crews for VARSITY state playoff games(nine-man in Minnesota) was 1975. I was just a little surprised because I always remember games being officiated by four man crews at that level.

JRutledge Fri Aug 27, 2021 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsonj72 (Post 1044391)
I graduated from High School in 1990 and I remember the four man crews including when my high school played nine man. The year I saw three man crews for VARSITY state playoff games(nine-man in Minnesota) was 1975. I was just a little surprised because I always remember games being officiated by four man crews at that level.

I believe there were 4 officials when I played and I graduated in 1990 as well. I do not remember for sure. I remember I was called for OPI as a receiver when I was about to catch a pass over the middle and got knocked down. I have no idea if there was a BJ at the time. I doubt it based on things I have learned since.

Peace

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 04, 2021 01:23pm

I'm assuming you're talking varsity games. We still use 3 man crews in Texas but only for jr. high games (or HS subvarsity games if we're short -- which is rare).

As far as varsity games go, its been a LONG time. My dad started working football in the early '50s. He worked smaller schools and they used 3 man crews while the bigger ones would use 4, but almost everyone was using 4 man by the '70s in Texas at the latest. 5 man, even at smaller schools, was standard by the '80s. We've been using 7 man in the metro areas since the mid-2010s (small and large schools). Smaller CHAPTERS in Texas still have issues filling all their small school 11-player games with 5 guys, but for the most part, I think most games are covered. A few might be 4 man.

6-player football gets 4 officials, unless its a Saturday game and the chapter or coaches agree for 5. Or, its a playoff game. 5 officials working a 6 man game is the pinnacle of officiating! I've never been in a situation where you have essentially every aspect of the game covered yet no one gets in the other's way.

More info than you asked, but what the heck...

paulsonj72 Sat Sep 04, 2021 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 1044502)
I'm assuming you're talking varsity games. We still use 3 man crews in Texas but only for jr. high games (or HS subvarsity games if we're short -- which is rare).

As far as varsity games go, its been a LONG time. My dad started working football in the early '50s. He worked smaller schools and they used 3 man crews while the bigger ones would use 4, but almost everyone was using 4 man by the '70s in Texas at the latest. 5 man, even at smaller schools, was standard by the '80s. We've been using 7 man in the metro areas since the mid-2010s (small and large schools). Smaller CHAPTERS in Texas still have issues filling all their small school 11-player games with 5 guys, but for the most part, I think most games are covered. A few might be 4 man.

6-player football gets 4 officials, unless its a Saturday game and the chapter or coaches agree for 5. Or, its a playoff game. 5 officials working a 6 man game is the pinnacle of officiating! I've never been in a situation where you have essentially every aspect of the game covered yet no one gets in the other's way.

More info than you asked, but what the heck...

Yes Varsity games. The two games I saw were state semi final playoff games in the nine-man class in Minnesota in 1975. The then four 11 man classes used the then customary four man crews