The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Coach conduct to be a POE again in 2021? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/105213-coach-conduct-poe-again-2021-a.html)

SC Official Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:26pm

Coach conduct to be a POE again in 2021?

https://www.footballzebras.com/2020/...eptable-again/

The lack of a flag for UNS on the Iowa State coach was an absolute joke. It's about time the powers-that-be stop pontificating about sportsmanship if nothing is going to be done about it.

HLin NC Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:33pm

Coaches run NCAA football. Just like uniform violations, nothing is going to happen. They've gotten lax on the restricted area from what I remember too.

JRutledge Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:40pm

I do not know if I agree with that. I think football is so big the administrations run that sport. Basketball coaches often have more influence on the sport than football coaches, at least when it comes to individual personalities. That is why basketball coaches can be there for 20 years if they are successful but they will get rid of a National Championship coach in football over one bad season. I think the conferences can put their foot down and say what is acceptable or not. This would be on the Big 12 hear for not doing something or saying what should be done. Football is the biggest thing in college sports, but there is an entire system that is running that conglomerate.

Peace

SC Official Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:47pm

I've never seen an NCAA hoops coach act the way Matt Campbell did yesterday without getting at least one T - K, Izzo, Self, you name it. I realize the sports don't have the same philosophies but there isn't one sane person who doesn't believe that behavior should not have been UNS.

JRutledge Mon Dec 21, 2020 02:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1040644)
I've never seen an NCAA hoops coach act the way Matt Campbell did yesterday without getting at least one T - K, Izzo, Self, you name it. I realize the sports don't have the same philosophies but there isn't one sane person who doesn't believe that behavior should not have been UNS.

Izzo got T's up last year for yelling about a call out of the coaching box. I cannot imagine if he had acted that way he would not have been run. But not in football. They can damn near curse you out and someone suggests you just sit there. I honestly do not get that logic. I understand they are close to you and can say all kinds of things, but you pointing and on the field and nothing is done? Never will accept why that is OK.

Peace

ilyazhito Mon Dec 21, 2020 04:11am

I have issued one UNS to a coach in a JUCO football game last season for being on the field and arguing with me about a DPI. This was because he refused to leave the field after I told him to and referred to my call as "bullshit". If a coach had yelled and screamed and ran onto the field the way Dan Campbell did in another one of my games, he would be getting flagged, no questions asked.

SC Official Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040645)
Izzo got T's up last year for yelling about a call out of the coaching box. I cannot imagine if he had acted that way he would not have been run. But not in football. They can damn near curse you out and someone suggests you just sit there. I honestly do not get that logic. I understand they are close to you and can say all kinds of things, but you pointing and on the field and nothing is done? Never will accept why that is OK.

Peace

I guess it's a good thing I don't officiate NCAA football because I would not tolerate this behavior. I don't tolerate it in the (albeit low-level) college basketball I work, and it's funny - I have never once felt like I was going to "lose my schedule" because of enforcing sportsmanship by the coaches. I have been kept away from certain coaches for a period of time for various reasons but that is mainly a product of assigners not wanting to throw their officials into a no-win situation. I have never been "punished" with a reduced schedule or permanently kept off a school's games because of penalizing coaches.

I honestly think the fear that some officials have of these coaches is overblown. There are certainly spineless supervisors out there but I think we have to know our worth better than we do.

And it is not like every coach behaves like this - most conferences only have a couple "bad apples." Are the coaches going to gang up on the assigner because the officials throw UNS flags, especially the coaches who conduct themselves appropriately? Please. That notion is such nonsense.

Robert Goodman Mon Dec 21, 2020 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1040645)
They can damn near curse you out and someone suggests you just sit there. I honestly do not get that logic. I understand they are close to you and can say all kinds of things, but you pointing and on the field and nothing is done? Never will accept why that is OK.

Could it be -- just a guess here -- that the NCAA is cultivating a pro wrestling audience? That the conduct that on its face is unsportsmanlike is actually all part of the show, and appreciated by the audience? And the powers that be understand this?

If this hypothesis is correct, then it would be limited to big time football, and you wouldn't see it at JV games, lightweight games, or the DIII games where the audience gets in for free and is usually outnumbered by the players. Anyone know if this sort of coach conduct is widespread at the lower levels too, or just a phenomenon of the showcase contests?

SC Official Mon Dec 21, 2020 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1040648)
Could it be -- just a guess here -- that the NCAA is cultivating a pro wrestling audience? That the conduct that on its face is unsportsmanlike is actually all part of the show, and appreciated by the audience? And the powers that be understand this?

If this hypothesis is correct, then it would be limited to big time football, and you wouldn't see it at JV games, lightweight games, or the DIII games where the audience gets in for free and is usually outnumbered by the players. Anyone know if this sort of coach conduct is widespread at the lower levels too, or just a phenomenon of the showcase contests?

The NCAA and the national coordinator have made very clear that they expect coaches who come onto the field to protest officiating to be penalized.

Unfortunately the NCAA and Steve Shaw don't have any control over the conferences when it comes to assigning games.

Robert Goodman Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1040649)
The NCAA and the national coordinator have made very clear that they expect coaches who come onto the field to protest officiating to be penalized.

Unfortunately the NCAA and Steve Shaw don't have any control over the conferences when it comes to assigning games.

But do you have an answer to my question: Are you seeing unsportsmanlike conduct by coaches at NCAA games where there's little or no audience (and no TV)?

SC Official Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1040650)
But do you have an answer to my question: Are you seeing unsportsmanlike conduct by coaches at NCAA games where there's little or no audience (and no TV)?

I don't officiate college football nor do I watch any NCAA games that aren't on TV. So I do not have an answer for you.

JRutledge Tue Dec 22, 2020 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1040648)

I work D3 football. I can tell you the things that are allowed by fellow officials and the attitudes of those in training or evaluation positions. I has a college baseball umpire and work college baseball now. Each sport had a very different attitude about what coaches could do. That would get you ejected in both baseball and basketball. At least some kind of penalty and the rules makers back up that position. In football, they can damn near call you out your name or accuse of you cheating and they seem to act like we must "manage" that position. It is to the point that even our reaction as an official can be different because we are not encouraged to take action. Not so much at the high school level, but even there you have officials that think we should not react a certain way. I have never liked it to the point where this kind of action is acceptable. I get if they are yelling or mad on some level and they are talking to you, but I can do somewhat the same.

Peace