The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA Rules: Tobacco use. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/104889-ncaa-rules-tobacco-use.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 30, 2019 05:13pm

NCAA Rules: Tobacco use.

I am watching the Cal-Illinois RedBox Bowl game and a sideline shot should a Cal assistant coach on the sideline put a pinch between his cheek and gum. I can't believe that NCAA allows tobacco use on the sidelines.

MTD, Sr.

justaref61 Mon Dec 30, 2019 06:07pm

I saw this too and thought the same thing!

Legacy Zebra Mon Dec 30, 2019 06:08pm

They “don’t”. It’s a fifteen yard penalty and disqualification. But the next game that I dq a coach for having chew will be the last game I work for my assignor.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra (Post 1036411)
They “don’t”. It’s a fifteen yard penalty and disqualification. But the next game that I dq a coach for having chew will be the last game I work for my assignor.

I cannot believe that a college assigner would not support you in this issue. I cannot believe a conference commissioner would want one of his schools being shown on national TV using a tobacco product.

MTD, Sr.

HLin NC Tue Dec 31, 2019 07:28am

The same reason that you see players with the knees not covered or sometimes the HC standing in the white. Some dragons aren't going to get slain.

Ever watch the NFL when they flash a shot of the coaches in the booth? That ain't Scope they're spitting in the cup.

ilyazhito Tue Dec 31, 2019 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1036413)
I cannot believe that a college assigner would not support you in this issue. I cannot believe a conference commissioner would want one of his schools being shown on national TV using a tobacco product.

MTD, Sr.

Indeed. I am surprised. I haven't seen tobacco used at the junior college or Division 3 level. If I do see it, I'd remind the coach or whoever is using that tobacco is not allowed. If they get the message, the game continues. If not, that person is ejected.

Robert Goodman Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:33pm

Is anybody here serious about this? I can't tell if sarcastic.

How about chewing gum? How about chewing gum containing nicotine?

What does any of this have to do with football?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1036418)
The same reason that you see players with the knees not covered or sometimes the HC standing in the white. Some dragons aren't going to get slain.

Ever watch the NFL when they flash a shot of the coaches in the booth? That ain't Scope they're spitting in the cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1036429)
Is anybody here serious about this? I can't tell if sarcastic.

How about chewing gum? How about chewing gum containing nicotine?

What does any of this have to do with football?

The NCAA is all about perception. And tobacco use is not something that the NCAA does not want to be seen tolerating. Especially when an assistant coach in a nationally televised bowl game is shown using snuff.

MTD, Sr.

HLin NC Tue Dec 31, 2019 06:14pm

No they aren't. They are about money and entertainment, mostly money.

Coaches run the NCAA when it comes to on-field business.

Texas Aggie Fri Jan 10, 2020 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra (Post 1036411)

Please let us know the name of the guy who would fire someone for enforcing the rules.

Robert Goodman Sat Jan 11, 2020 07:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 1036676)
Please let us know the name of the guy who would fire someone for enforcing the rules.

That goes on in lots of businesses. Have you never heard of a slowdown strike in the form of by-the-book work? They're saying that actually going by the written rules is tantamount to leaving the job.

In many jobs giving the boss exactly what the boss asked for is practically a form of protest. Often in consulting work returning the job to spec would completely flummox the client.

ilyazhito Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24am

That does not make much sense. You shouldn't be punished for doing the job the way it ought to be done. Re: tobacco, institutions should police themselves, and shut up if someone else calls out a coach for using tobacco.