The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

HS Football Penalty in OT

I have a question regarding the following situation. This isn't a real situation, but a hypothetical based on some information i just saw. NFHS rules.

HS Varsity game enters OT.

Team A scores, and the PAT attempt is good. Team B, during the PAT is called for Roughing the kicker.

What are the options for Team A as a result of the Team B penalty.

One of the options mentioned was half the distance and retry the PAT. I completely understand this option.

The second is enforce the penalty from the succeeding spot. This would make it Team B's possession at the 25 yard line. What is the down and distance in this situation?
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 12:31pm
Chain of Fools

1st and Goal.

RESOLVING TIED GAMES

5-3-1: The line to gain is always the goal line regardless of whether or not a penalty enforcement places the ball more than 10 yards from the goal line to start a new series.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
1st and Goal.

RESOLVING TIED GAMES

5-3-1: The line to gain is always the goal line regardless of whether or not a penalty enforcement places the ball more than 10 yards from the goal line to start a new series.
Thank you.

I personally think this is a crap rule, because it is inconsistent with the effect of the penalty at other points in the game.

For example, we have a 4th down stop by the Team B at midfield. After the play is over (but before the ball is spotted for play) Team B commits a DBPF by pushing a Team A player to the ground. The penalty is 15 yards, so Team now gains possession at the Team B 35 yard line. We still have a first and 10 situation. Since a live ball foul on a scoring play, (in the OP, roughing the kicker IIRC) can be penalized from the succeeding spot, which would be the point the ball is kicked off from.

If they want to have the penalty result in that substantial of a penalty it needs to be consistent at all points of the game. First and goal from the 25 in OT should be the same as first and 25 during regulation, in my opinion.

I also think OT should do what college does and start from the 25 rather than the 10, which would make this rule argument moot anyway.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Thank you.

I personally think this is a crap rule, because it is inconsistent with the effect of the penalty at other points in the game.

For example, we have a 4th down stop by the Team B at midfield. After the play is over (but before the ball is spotted for play) Team B commits a DBPF by pushing a Team A player to the ground. The penalty is 15 yards, so Team now gains possession at the Team B 35 yard line. We still have a first and 10 situation. Since a live ball foul on a scoring play, (in the OP, roughing the kicker IIRC) can be penalized from the succeeding spot, which would be the point the ball is kicked off from.

If they want to have the penalty result in that substantial of a penalty it needs to be consistent at all points of the game. First and goal from the 25 in OT should be the same as first and 25 during regulation, in my opinion.

I also think OT should do what college does and start from the 25 rather than the 10, which would make this rule argument moot anyway.

And in Wisconsin we DO start from the 25. States are free to use the NFHS recommended procedure or create their own. We use the NCAA tiebreaker rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 02:58pm
Chain of Fools

The key to NFHS philosophy on OT is they want the game over. It doesn't always work out that way but we rarely see sextuple OT games in HS. Its not that uncommon to have multiple periods in college.

If you want to foul your way out of it, then that's the team's problem.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2019, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't be surprised if more states use their own procedure than use the NFHS procedure.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2019, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

DC uses their own procedure (this was developed by DCIAA, the governing body for DC public schools, but is used throughout DC by the DCSAA, the umbrella organization for scholastic sports in DC). In DC, there is a coin toss before the 1st overtime period with 3 choices (offense 1st, defense 1st, end of the field). The 1st overtime period starts 1/10 for A from the 20 (unless moved by penalty). If needed, the 2nd overtime period starts 1/10 for A' (the team that played defense 1st in the 1st overtime period). If that does not resolve the situation, there is a 3rd and final coin toss before the 3rd overtime, which starts 1/G for A from the 10. Options alternate in any additional overtime periods, which also start 1/G from the 10.

In DC, succeeding spot enforcement in the 1st 2 overtime periods would result in B getting the ball 1/10 from the 35 yard line.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2019, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if more states use their own procedure than use the NFHS procedure.
Ohio starts 1st & 10 at the 20
Old Mon Sep 30, 2019, 03:06pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Ohio starts 1st & 10 at the 20
Georgia starts 1st & 10 from the 15.
Old Mon Oct 07, 2019, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
The key to NFHS philosophy on OT is they want the game over. It doesn't always work out that way but we rarely see sextuple OT games in HS. Its not that uncommon to have multiple periods in college.

If you want to foul your way out of it, then that's the team's problem.
Maybe your area doesn't see multiple OT games, but Michigan seems to. This season only three games though have gone multiple OT's. Of those, two went three OT's and the other went 4OT's.

I still think if they want to end the games earlier, increasing the distance from start to the endzone would do that more than going from the 10. From the 10 you are in FG range for most HS teams. Going back to the 20 or 25 and now you need a kicker to win the games. (With that said, a lot of OT games appeared to be 1 point margins in Michigan, so maybe a PAT isn't that easy for a lot of teams in this state.
Old Thu Oct 10, 2019, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I still think if they want to end the games earlier,
...then they should call it a tie and quit, like they used to.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
...then they should call it a tie and quit, like they used to.
The only reason we don't in OH is for playoff rankings. As mentioned by Tom, we start 1st/10 on the 20, and there is no overtime for any sub-varsity games at any level.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
The only reason we don't in OH is for playoff rankings.
What do they do for standings purposes, count an overtime win as something between a tie and a regulation win?

In most cases, having a few tie games sprinkled around helps spread out the standings to determine championships, as long as it isn't the top teams that tie each other. But that goes only if only conference championships go on to play off. If they have one of these systems where many more teams than you'd need (to realistically determine a champion) qualify for playoffs, then I've no idea whether season ties help resolve qualifications or make them harder to figure.

Of course in playoffs themselves you need to break ties. However, in the finals you don't!
Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 12:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What do they do for standings purposes, count an overtime win as something between a tie and a regulation win?

In most cases, having a few tie games sprinkled around helps spread out the standings to determine championships, as long as it isn't the top teams that tie each other. But that goes only if only conference championships go on to play off. If they have one of these systems where many more teams than you'd need (to realistically determine a champion) qualify for playoffs, then I've no idea whether season ties help resolve qualifications or make them harder to figure.

Of course in playoffs themselves you need to break ties. However, in the finals you don't!

An overtime win is a win. An overtime loss is a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 03:05pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me. Why in the wide world of sports would you NOT want to determine a champion?