LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 02, 2019, 02:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ohio HS Player Disgusted with Officiating, Head Butts Official

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...me/2191686001/
Old Mon Sep 02, 2019, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wonder if the Gold Book has a mechanic for this.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2019, 08:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Wonder if the Gold Book has a mechanic for this.
Apologize to the player for putting your head in the way of his butt?
Old Wed Sep 04, 2019, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

This school's a repeat offender. They really need to take better care of their students.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2019, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
This school's a repeat offender. They really need to take better care of their students.
Could you elaborate? What happened before?

Peace
Old Wed Sep 04, 2019, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

To be effective, Consequences resulting from inappropriate behavior should be appropriate to the behavior and harsh enough to deter repetition by the culprit, or anyone considering similar behavior, and applied equally and consistently.

Watering down, eliminating or ignoring appropriate, and when necessary, harsh consequences serves only to encourage additional inappropriate behavior.
Old Sun Sep 08, 2019, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Could you elaborate? What happened before?
Per the article: "Dayton Public Schools are already on probation in football through June 2020 and Dunbar specifically through 2022 for a 2016 incident where Dunbar was intentionally trying to lose a game against another Dayton public school, Belmont. That stemmed from Dunbar having an ineligible player."
Old Sun Sep 08, 2019, 08:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Per the article: "Dayton Public Schools are already on probation in football through June 2020 and Dunbar specifically through 2022 for a 2016 incident where Dunbar was intentionally trying to lose a game against another Dayton public school, Belmont. That stemmed from Dunbar having an ineligible player."
I do not equate that situation to this situation that happened this season. So if that is the case, interesting fact but that has nothing to do with an official being attacked. And I am not sure the entire program should be responsible for the actions of this kid. Penalize the kid and adults if they somehow encouraged such action, but this looks like this is all on the player.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 08, 2019, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Well, to borrow a phrase from the NCAA, it does show a lack of institutional control. What does the coach do in response? Goes to the media and complains the kid was hit in the throat on a previous play, as if to make an excuse for his actions.

While in a technical sense this situation doesn't have anything to do with the previous one, the coach obviously doesn't believe in the "one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other." Why else would he mention the alleged throat hit? Suspensions for cheating isn't getting the message across -- now, a player is resulting to violence and the head coach is making at least some excuses. I'd say shutting down the football program this year isn't unreasonable. Yes, you heard that right. Sucks for those not responsible but this is a very serious situation. I would never work a game involving that team and I would strongly recommend my association not do so either. I don't want to work in the presence of that coach.
Old Sun Sep 08, 2019, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Well, to borrow a phrase from the NCAA, it does show a lack of institutional control. What does the coach do in response? Goes to the media and complains the kid was hit in the throat on a previous play, as if to make an excuse for his actions.

While in a technical sense this situation doesn't have anything to do with the previous one, the coach obviously doesn't believe in the "one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other." Why else would he mention the alleged throat hit? Suspensions for cheating isn't getting the message across -- now, a player is resulting to violence and the head coach is making at least some excuses. I'd say shutting down the football program this year isn't unreasonable. Yes, you heard that right. Sucks for those not responsible but this is a very serious situation. I would never work a game involving that team and I would strongly recommend my association not do so either. I don't want to work in the presence of that coach.
Let me guess, they had 5 officials on the game? But then it is the official's fault for not seeing something that likely is hard to see in the first place without replay.

And I agree, if that is the issue of the coach, then they have bigger issues.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 16, 2019, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

This goes in the direction of my sports law class' current discussion. At one point does the actions of a participant within a sporting event go beyond the confines of the sporting event and warrant interaction from the court system.

It is my opinion, that this action should be considered as assault and criminally charged as such. This is way beyond the normal actions expected within the game of football. Yes, there is some contact in the sport, but headbutting an official is a clearly defined out of bounds for the sport, which is where I personally draw the line between the sport and criminal charges.

Now, saying I support criminal charges does not mean I support permanently harming the player's future. I would have no problem if the player was sentenced in such a manner that certain conditions being met would result in the removal of the charge from his public record.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2019, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Now, saying I support criminal charges does not mean I support permanently harming the player's future. I would have no problem if the player was sentenced in such a manner that certain conditions being met would result in the removal of the charge from his public record.
I was under the impression "Juvenile Records" are usually sealed, and are NOT carried forward into the adult world. However actions such as this SHOULD INCLUDE consequences designed to discourage repetition, and be directly related to the seriousness of the behavior.
Old Tue Sep 17, 2019, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This goes in the direction of my sports law class' current discussion. At one point does the actions of a participant within a sporting event go beyond the confines of the sporting event and warrant interaction from the court system.
The answer to this could actually be pretty easy. Most states have criminal laws codified (i.e. written down in statutes) that specify what is and what isn't, along with what is a defense, etc. Courts have come along and interpreted specific cases to further define what specific actions may constitute (in this case) an assault or a defense to one. While the statute may not specify a game as a defense to an assault, one thing the courts might do is come along and say that since the official is not a player and is not so equipped, treating him as such a participant is not a valid defense under the law as it might be against another player. In other words, head butting another player MAY not be a criminal violation, but head butting an official, coach, etc. probably IS.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2019, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Charged with a felony

At least we know what has happened on the legal side.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 26, 2019, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
The answer to this could actually be pretty easy. Most states have criminal laws codified (i.e. written down in statutes) that specify what is and what isn't, along with what is a defense, etc. Courts have come along and interpreted specific cases to further define what specific actions may constitute (in this case) an assault or a defense to one. While the statute may not specify a game as a defense to an assault, one thing the courts might do is come along and say that since the official is not a player and is not so equipped, treating him as such a participant is not a valid defense under the law as it might be against another player. In other words, head butting another player MAY not be a criminal violation, but head butting an official, coach, etc. probably IS.
The general rule is that actions which are considered part of the game are not criminally charged for assault type charges. Fights in hockey meet this definition. Even fights in high school sports often result in no action from the criminal justice system unless there is a mitigating factor.

In this case, the head butt of an official is not a part of the game, therefore it would go above and beyond anything that could be considered "normal" to the game, and the criminal justice system would likely (and apparently has gotten involved).

Michigan had a case several years ago where several people involved in a fight at a high school football game did face charges. One of them was charged because he was an injured player, who did not participate in the game, but was involved in the fight. His involvement was swinging his crutch at an opposing players head, and making contact. Swinging a crutch at an opponents head is not a normal part of football, and is outside the normal expectation of the game.

The most famous incident of criminal charges in a sporting event I think was Marty McSorely's swing to the face of Donald Braschear. McSorely was charged with assault. Slashing a player in the head is way beyond what is reasonable within the sport's guidelines and traditions.