The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Ok here we go...Friday nite 5a contest (highest level in wy) home team with a win is in the playoffs, with 2 gets a home field game. Opponent needs tons of help to make playoffs even with a win.. Looks like not much of a contest on paper....With 1:54 left in the game still 0-0 visitors fumble on about the home team 40..next play home team breaks off the long run for a TD...now the fun begins.. The fumble occured in the home teams side zone..I was working umpire, and I admit I didn't see the ball so I didn't blow a whistle..the line judge said he had a great look and it was a fumble...before ensuing kickoff the visiting coaches are livid about the call...said the LJ clearly missed it, our WH said "now how could you see that from clear over here, my wing said he saw the play clearly and I am going with that" WH leaves, coaches are ranting I tell them to get off the field, I hear one say "that guy hasn't helped us all nite" I told him he isn't here to help anyone, no get off the field coach and I start to take my position for the kickoff. Walking to my position I bump one of the coaches, when I bump into him, I instinctively create a little space with my arm, I didn't shove him I just kind of defended myself..well he goes off about don't shove me...I take my position and it continues so I flag him...when I tell the WH what we have the head coach comes down the sideline yelling, "you haven't made a call all nite and you make that one" I warn him he says it again and he earns one...now they want to talk to the WH...their defense is not that they did nothing wrong but that I developed rabbit ears....so I appologize for the length of the post...but would appreciate any comments...the losing team did make a gallant effort and got back to the home team 40 before they gave up the ball on downs...
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

The flags were for the non-obscene language that was simply criticizing you? I guess everyone has their own breaking point but that seems a bit too sensitive on your part to me. Course I was not there getting slammed so it may have been different had I been in your shoes.

Plus, just because you hear a coach making a comment to another coach or himself, does not mean you have to respond. And if he is not asking you a question why is there any need for a response at all?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

yep I agree that the response was probably not needed...it just jumped out so to speak LOL...
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Food for thought....

If I had bumped the coach, I would assume he was on the field or in your way. I probably would have turned and asked the coaches and players to move back away from the sideline so that you had room to work. After a volatile discussion, this would have been a challenge in and of itself, but you are well within the rules to do so and haven't physically challenged the coach.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

JMN yes I agree with you too. The coaches had been told more than once to get back off the field. It was pretty volatile, at this point allready...just a bad situation. They of course were going to send the tapes to our state office but as of yet I haven't heard anything, and at this point I don't expect to. The sad part is that it was a very good game and we had done a very good job, and then this one 2 minute time span ruins the whole feeling..
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I never criticize officials for the way they handle coaches as I was not there. The tone of voice, coach on the field or off, gestures, the cumulative effect, warnings, etc. all contribute to the call or non-call.

I had a taunting call and 2 other late hits (cheap shots) called on a freshman team that was ahead 34-0 on Tuesday. The kid who had the taunting call was not removed from the game by the coach so he was in going against the opponent's 2nd team offense to make sure that they didn't score. How disappointing. After the game, I told the coach, whom I have known for years, that I was impressed by their skill but not their attitudes. He said it would be addressed. The coach needs to address his young, gung-ho assistant first who was a big part of the problem. I have no problem bringing things like this to the attention of the coach. There are more things to teach kids than just blocking and tackling.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

There is a mentality that coaches should be allowed to act up in football and somehow we are "too sensitive" if we penalize their bad behavior.

My reaction to your post? It sounds like you flagged him at the appropriate time. He was on the field and tried to sucker or bait you into looking bad with that "don"t shove me" nonsense.

Good for you.

Rich