The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone have an Association Approved conditioning program?

Can you post it please?

If not then what are your ways to get ready for the season and when do you start it?

As a first year guy all my on the field games are over for the season, though I do have a few chain games left for Varsity. I would like to get a jump on things next season so I dont come home with aching legs and ankles and wondering why my belts arent fitting like they used to

Any help is appreciated.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Conditioning programs should be individualized.

Off-season I lift weights in response to how my body felt during the season. I keep a journal of hurts, aches, etc. after each game. At the end of the season I take the journal and determine what needs to be stronger and what needs just maintenance.

For instance, at the halfway point this season my sore point has been one of my ankles. It has not responded to treatment; therefore, my program will include strengthening the ankles and maintenance of the lower legs to keep them from getting too strong.

In consultation with my chiropractor the first few weeks after the season a lot of aerobics for cardiovascular strength. According to him the heart can get a layer of fat if you give you the cardio work after the season.

Other than that, strengthen the back for running. Strengthen the abs to balance the back. I love bench presses, arm curls, triceps extensions.

In July it is off to the bike for hard and fast cardio with some step aerobics. My ride is normally about 13 miles. In the middle of the ride I time myself to make 8 miles in 50 minutes. That is, the first four miles and a 10 minute rest. Then the last four miles. This happens, at least, twice a week.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
Conditioning is one of the most imp. aspects of being a good official. Although i agree with Ed on almost all of his entire conditioning plan, i do have varying opinions. You shouldn't look at conditioning as a precursor to football season. The conditioning you should perform should be a year-round program focusing on different goals throughout the year. The fitness program should be a goal for you and being a good official, not just for being a good official. Being someone who trains all year round (not only for football), i can give you a few key pointers for being in great shape all the time, not only for football season. First, if your main goal if football season fitness, design a program that has goals for football season and off-season. The in-season goals should focus on stamina (perform alot of cardio exercises. The treadmill, bike, eliptical machine will all work great) I actually run four times a week (not on game days) and use goals similar to Ed. I also work on ab's and back, similar to Ed, because they muscles will be working the most while officiating. Dont be too concerned with alot of weight training. One to three days a week are fine. In the off-season i hit the weights harder and keep the cardio the same. I train for myself and by the time the end of the summer comes, you wont have to get in shape, you will already be in shape.