The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Too many men on defense (https://forum.officiating.com/football/104103-too-many-men-defense.html)

airraider Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18pm

Too many men on defense

First play of game this past Friday.

The ball snaps and a flag is thrown and whistle is blown.

The defense had 12 men on the field.

The white hat said they are not supposed to allow the play to start with 12 men and if they catch it, there should be no flag.

I asked how would there ever be a flag for 12 men if they were supposed to get them off the field, and he said if they did not catch it in time there could be a flag.

I was completely mind blown.

Rich Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by airraider (Post 1025515)
First play of game this past Friday.

The ball snaps and a flag is thrown and whistle is blown.

The defense had 12 men on the field.

The white hat said they are not supposed to allow the play to start with 12 men and if they catch it, there should be no flag.

I asked how would there ever be a flag for 12 men if they were supposed to get them off the field, and he said if they did not catch it in time there could be a flag.

I was completely mind blown.

He killed the play. 5 yard illegal substitution foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CT1 Mon Oct 29, 2018 06:56am

If either team has more than 11 “in formation”, we *should* catch that and penalize for illegal substitution before the snap. It sounds like your covering official had the count — he just couldn’t get it stopped before the ball was snapped. That happens sometimes.

I’ll admit I’m confused by the “no flag” comment.

HLin NC Mon Oct 29, 2018 08:52am

Why was your mind blown? It was a foul at the snap to have too many men on the field.

Defense is usually given a tad more leeway to run a guy off but if the snap occurs and he doesn't get off the field, then the foul has happened. Better to hit the defense with Illegal Sub and 5 yards than let the play go and have to assess 15 for Illegal Participation.

As to the "no flag" comment, possibly mis-spoke/misunderstood?

airraider Sat Nov 03, 2018 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1025519)
Why was your mind blown? It was a foul at the snap to have too many men on the field.

Defense is usually given a tad more leeway to run a guy off but if the snap occurs and he doesn't get off the field, then the foul has happened. Better to hit the defense with Illegal Sub and 5 yards than let the play go and have to assess 15 for Illegal Participation.

As to the "no flag" comment, possibly mis-spoke/misunderstood?

They waived the flag off, said they had to allow them to get the guy off the field.

Rich Sat Nov 03, 2018 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by airraider (Post 1025679)
They waived the flag off, said they had to allow them to get the guy off the field.

Not true. Next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BIG UMP Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:20am

This past Friday we had 2-3 instances where the B stopped the snap for IS on defense.