The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Trainer on the field (https://forum.officiating.com/football/104087-trainer-field.html)

Reffing Rev. Sun Oct 14, 2018 07:38am

Trainer on the field

4th down. QB A7 (who earlier in the game was removed with signs and symptoms of a concussion, but cleared to return) scrambles to the right and throws an incomplete pass before getting roughed and landing out of bounds in his team box. Flag down, clock stopped for an incomplete pass, then for an officials timeout to administer a penalty. When I finish the penalty announcement, I turn to find the trainer on the field inside the hash marks with A7 and she starts running off the field. Her presence does not delay the RFP.

Does A7 need to sit out 1 down? The clock was not stopped for an injured player, and the trainer was not beckoned onto the field.

ajmc Sun Oct 14, 2018 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 1025317)
4th down. QB A7 (who earlier in the game was removed with signs and symptoms of a concussion, but cleared to return) scrambles to the right and throws an incomplete pass before getting roughed and landing out of bounds in his team box. Flag down, clock stopped for an incomplete pass, then for an officials timeout to administer a penalty. When I finish the penalty announcement, I turn to find the trainer on the field inside the hash marks with A7 and she starts running off the field. Her presence does not delay the RFP.

Does A7 need to sit out 1 down? The clock was not stopped for an injured player, and the trainer was not beckoned onto the field.

GIVEN, that A7 had previously been removed for concern about a possible concussion, and the Trainer saw something prompting concern, with that same player, I would risk erring, on the side of caution, and remove A7 for further re-assessment by the Trainer.

If the Trainer's concern was for something other than A7's concussion status (depending on circumstances) I would either have a brief discussion with the Trainer about NFHS 9-8-3, or if appropriate penalize him/her.

Scooby Thu Oct 25, 2018 02:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 1025329)
GIVEN, that A7 had previously been removed for concern about a possible concussion, and the Trainer saw something prompting concern, with that same player, I would risk erring, on the side of caution, and remove A7 for further re-assessment by the Trainer.

If the Trainer's concern was for something other than A7's concussion status (depending on circumstances) I would either have a brief discussion with the Trainer about NFHS 9-8-3, or if appropriate penalize him/her.

The question was if the player was required to sit out a play. And the answer is no. If you sit him down, in the situation of the original post, you do not have backing by rule. Though, you could say that you did have an official's time out for injury and then you can be covered, by rule.

ajmc Thu Oct 25, 2018 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1025496)
The question was if the player was required to sit out a play. And the answer is no. If you sit him down, in the situation of the original post, you do not have backing by rule. Though, you could say that you did have an official's time out for injury and then you can be covered, by rule.

Common sense is still our best option. Before determining what, if any "rule support" may apply, clarifying exactly what is going on seems like a good idea, which allows US to pause and find out.

After correctly understanding what is happening will serve to assist us in choosing the appropriate action, if any, may need taking.