The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Never Seen Official's Penalty Signal (https://forum.officiating.com/football/104010-never-seen-officials-penalty-signal.html)

Rolling Wolf Sat Sep 08, 2018 04:56pm

Never Seen Official's Penalty Signal

Our intercom system for the White Cap was out last night so explanation of penalty could not be heard through the speaker system and we could not even hear on the sideline. Thankfully both times he called it, it was against our opponent and their sideline acted as if he was insane. Can someone tell me what this penalty signal is for; he places both fist together on his sternum of chest and pulls them apart as if he is pulling open his shirt, like Cam Newton does with his Superman demonstration?
New one on me and I've been coaching football for a long time. I can not find it on any illustrations for official signals. In North Carolina by the way, I'm not sure if it is state specific.

Rich Sat Sep 08, 2018 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf (Post 1024321)
Our intercom system for the White Cap was out last night so explanation of penalty could not be heard through the speaker system and we could not even hear on the sideline. Thankfully both times he called it, it was against our opponent and their sideline acted as if he was insane. Can someone tell me what this penalty signal is for; he places both fist together on his sternum of chest and pulls them apart as if he is pulling open his shirt, like Cam Newton does with his Superman demonstration?

New one on me and I've been coaching football for a long time. I can not find it on any illustrations for official signals. In North Carolina by the way, I'm not sure if it is state specific.

Illegal blindside block. Two fists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

scrounge Sat Sep 08, 2018 07:22pm

To add on to Rich's post, it's a new signal just added this year as an addition to the PF signal for blindside blocks.

The coaches probably went apoplectic because they're neanderthals who think that's "just football" to decleat someone.

Rich Sat Sep 08, 2018 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1024333)
To add on to Rich's post, it's a new signal just added this year as an addition to the PF signal for blindside blocks.

The coaches probably went apoplectic because they're neanderthals who think that's "just football" to decleat someone.

"Good hit! You did nothing wrong! Keep on doing what you're doing!"

scrounge Sat Sep 08, 2018 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1024334)
"Good hit! You did nothing wrong! Keep on doing what you're doing!"

Heard those exact words just this morning in a very rainy JV game, though this time it was on a DB got beat and drove right thru the jumping WR's chest for DPI.

Rolling Wolf Sun Sep 09, 2018 09:46am

Thanks guys, that makes sense, I know it must have been a new signal or something to that effect. The head official is a good one and I knew he had not lost his mind making something up. Yes, the team we were playing would take dirty shots every time they had a chance. Unfortunately, the crew did miss a leading with the crown of the helmet on the last play of the 1st half when a DB came flying in and clearly lead with his helmet striking our QB in the ear hole at the goal line. We had to run him through the concussion protocol and fortunately he was all right.