The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Running into punter (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103986-running-into-punter.html)

yankeesfan Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:02pm

Running into punter

4th and 8 R runs into kicker. Can that foul be tacked on the end of the punt? I know one of the options is 4th and 3 and re punt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Goodman Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 1024041)
I know one of the options is 4th and 3 and re punt

Not according to what I heard Wed. night in Newton by a NJ official called in to explain current Fed rules to youth football coaches. He said the only live ball fouls whose penalties carried the option of repeating a down during which the ball was subsequently kicked were those occurring in the neutral zone immediately after the snap. It seems if you want to repeat the down, you'd better not kick it -- like kicking away advantage in Rugby Union.

yankeesfan Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1024042)
Not according to what I heard Wed. night in Newton by a NJ official called in to explain current Fed rules to youth football coaches. He said the only live ball fouls whose penalties carried the option of repeating a down during which the ball was subsequently kicked were those occurring in the neutral zone immediately after the snap. It seems if you want to repeat the down, you'd better not kick it -- like kicking away advantage in Rugby Union.

Never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:43pm

The tack-on option only exists on fouls by K when R possesses the ball at the end of the play.
Running into the kicker can only be enforced at the previous spot, because it does not fit the requirements for tack-on fouls. This is because running into the kicker is a foul by R, not a foul by K.

Rich Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58pm

Running into punter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1024042)

You need better instructors.

Choice of declining the foul or 5 yards and replay 4th down. That's it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CT1 Sun Aug 26, 2018 07:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan (Post 1024041)
4th and 8 R runs into kicker. Can that foul be tacked on the end of the punt? I know one of the options is 4th and 3 and re punt.

This doesn’t fit the requirements for PSK enforcement, since the foul occurred behind the ENZ. 4th & 3, or result of play.

JRutledge Sun Aug 26, 2018 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1024047)
This doesn’t fit the requirements for PSK enforcement, since the foul occurred behind the ENZ. 4th & 3, or result of play.

He is likely referencing the situation with the new rule of tacking on the penalty during a kick (free or scrimmage), not a PSK foul.

Peace

CT1 Mon Aug 27, 2018 06:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024048)
He is likely referencing the situation with the new rule of tacking on the penalty during a kick (free or scrimmage), not a PSK foul.

Peace

The new tack-on rule is for fouls by K. RTK is a foul by R.

JRutledge Mon Aug 27, 2018 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1024058)
The new tack-on rule is for fouls by K. RTK is a foul by R.

I know this already, but people have been getting confused and thinking all kicking play fouls apply to this new rule. I have had this conversation more than once to explain the difference.

Peace

Canned Heat Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1024044)
The tack-on option only exists on fouls by K when R possesses the ball at the end of the play.
Running into the kicker can only be enforced at the previous spot, because it does not fit the requirements for tack-on fouls. This is because running into the kicker is a foul by R, not a foul by K.

Beat me to it...