The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS Rules and a weird ending. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103985-nfhs-rules-weird-ending.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:43am

NFHS Rules and a weird ending.

Here is an article from a game in the Toledo area that was played last night. Since I am not a football official could someone please elaborate: Bizarre ending sees Springfield hold off Fremont Ross - The Blade

Thanks,

MTD, Sr.

smileyh Sat Aug 25, 2018 09:53am

There's no 2 second runoff rule, but if the play was not out of bounds, the clock should have never stopped, unless it was 1st down and then it would have started as soon as the ball was put down by the umpire.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1024029)
Here is an article from a game in the Toledo area that was played last night. Since I am not a football official could someone please elaborate: Bizarre ending sees Springfield hold off Fremont Ross - The Blade

Thanks,

MTD, Sr.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:37am

They may have applied a college rule. In NCAA rules, a team needs 3 seconds or more remaining on the game clock to spike the ball and have time for another play. If 2 seconds or fewer remain, that team cannot spike and expect to have time to run a play. NFHS has no rule to deal with that situation.

ajmc Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:49am

There's always a "remote" possibility that the announcer, article writer and Coach all happened to be confused (and wrong).

The article wasn't all that clear, but if the play (before the spike) ended in-bounds, the clock would continue running.

If the result of the play created a 1st down, the clock would stop, to reset the chains and restart on the subsequent RFP signal.

If, in the excitement/confusion "A" snapped the ball prior to the RFP signal, the clock should not have started, a DOG penalty would be assessed moving the offense back 5 yards and the clock started on the snap (UNLESS the Referee considered the stoppage illegal, in which case he could exercise

If the previous play ended OOB, the clock would have stopped (and 1st down or not) started on the subsequent snap.

If the timer failed to stop/start the clock as prescribed, the Referee may have exercised his authority under NFHS 1-1-6.

There is no "2 second provision" in the NFHS code, although the State of Ohio may have decided to addressed this circumstance uniquely for games under their jurisdiction. Their may be some confusion with NFHS: 3-4-7 (added in 2017) "When a penalty is accepted with less than 2 minutes remaining in either half, the offended team will have the option to start the game clock on the snap."

CT1 Sun Aug 26, 2018 06:56am

I didn’t see a flag for Illegal Shift, although that obviously happened.

Welpe Tue Sep 04, 2018 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyh (Post 1024030)
unless it was 1st down and then it would have started as soon as the ball was put down by the umpire.

I don't believe Ohio has adopted the 40/25 sec play clock (I could be wrong). Under normal Fed rules, the clock would start when the referee blows the ready for play.

smileyh Tue Sep 04, 2018 09:40am

Sorry. I was speaking for those states have adopted the 40/25 clock.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 1024208)
I don't believe Ohio has adopted the 40/25 sec play clock (I could be wrong). Under normal Fed rules, the clock would start when the referee blows the ready for play.

JRutledge Tue Sep 04, 2018 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyh (Post 1024209)
Sorry. I was speaking for those states have adopted the 40/25 clock.

What does that have to do with this play? It appears the clock was supposed to run on the RFP, the type of play clock is not a factor if we are talking about only a second or two.

Peace

BIG UMP Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1024210)
What does that have to do with this play? It appears the clock was supposed to run on the RFP, the type of play clock is not a factor if we are talking about only a second or two.

Peace

It has alot to do with this play. With the 40/25 as soon as the ball is placed after a first down the game clock starts, there is no RFP.