The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   covered tight end (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103965-covered-tight-end.html)

johnyd Sat Aug 18, 2018 03:46pm

covered tight end

Wide out identified and confirmed as on the line.
Tight end made a late switch and also lined up on the line, now covered by the wide out and "Covered" so ineligible.
At Snap QB drop backs, and both tight end and wide out go down field for a pass.
QB then tucks ball and runs.
When do you throw the flag?
Confirm call is ineligible receiver downfield?
COnfirm, throw flag and let play continue because defense has the chance to intercept.
Anything else I am missing?

Rich Sat Aug 18, 2018 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 1023844)

Tight end made a late switch and also lined up on the line, now covered by the wide out and "Covered" so ineligible.

At Snap QB drop backs, and both tight end and wide out go down field for a pass.

Confirm call is ineligible receiver downfield?

COnfirm, throw flag and let play continue because defense has the chance to intercept.

Anything else I am missing?

Tnere was no pass. There is no foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ajmc Sat Aug 18, 2018 04:51pm

Quote:

NFHS 7-5-12:Ineligible A players may not advance beyond the expanded neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone is in flight....."

So, unless and until a legal pass (that crosses the NZ) is actually thrown, there is no ineligible receiver.

ilyazhito Sat Aug 18, 2018 09:47pm

Duh! There can't be a receiver if no pass is thrown. I would see the ineligible tight end downfield, and grab my flag, but if I see no throw, I don't throw my flag. I only throw the flag if the pass is thrown forward and beyond the line of scrimmage. If the ball is thrown away, there is no foul for ineligible receiver downfield, only (potentially) for an illegal forward pass (intentional grounding).

Kelvin green Sun Aug 19, 2018 09:11pm

In my area, there are lots of teams the use this formation for runs all the time, then the play breaks down... you can guess the rest.

Robert Goodman Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27pm

Quote:

On a subsequent down that turns out to be a pass play.

Was that a trick question, like where do you bury the survivors?