The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   KO our of bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103959-ko-our-bounds.html)

yankeesfan Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31pm

KO our of bounds

When a kick off goes out of bounds when can the 5 yard penalty be added on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilyazhito Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:00am

If the kick was not touched by R (this cancels the penalty), or if R did not commit a penalty before or after the end of the kick. If R touched the kick, ball is placed at the OOB spot. If R commits a penalty, the penalties offset, and K re-kicks from the previous spot. Otherwise Road can accept the ball at the out-of-bounds spot +5, 30 from previous spot +5, or rekick +5.

CT1 Tue Aug 14, 2018 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1023691)
if the kick was not touched by r (this cancels the penalty), or if r did not commit a penalty before or after the end of the kick. If r touched the kick, ball is placed at the oob spot. If r commits a penalty, the penalties offset, and k re-kicks from the previous spot. Otherwise road can accept the ball at the out-of-bounds spot +5, 30 from previous spot +5, or rekick +5.

In NFHS, the only tack-on would be if R chooses the OOB spot option. The tack-on doesn’t apply if they choose to take the ball 25 yards (not 30) from the free kick spot.

ilyazhito Tue Aug 14, 2018 08:30am

Isn't the rule 30 from the previous spot, or am I confusing that with NCAA?

Robert Goodman Tue Aug 14, 2018 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1023692)
In NFHS, the only tack-on would be if R chooses the OOB spot option. The tack-on doesn’t apply if they choose to take the ball 25 yards (not 30) from the free kick spot.

There's no tack-on at all in Fed. The 5 yard penalty applies only if R makes K kick again.

ilyazhito Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:27am

What about this year's rule changes allowing R to add 5 yards to the succeeding spot if K commits a penalty (other than encroachment) on a free kick?http://https://www.nfhs.org/sports-r...-changes-2018/

Jimmie24 Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:47am

This is a good question. I hadn't thought of this when dealing with the kicking game and the add on. I don't recall it being discussed at the rules meeting either. I am interested in what others say.

Jimmie24 Tue Aug 14, 2018 01:12pm

Looks like reading helps. Rule 6-1-9:

ART. 9 . . . A free kick shall not be kicked out of bounds between the goal lines untouched inbounds by R. If it is kicked out of bounds and R does not accept a penalty for kick-catch interference on the same kick as in 6-5-4, R has the following choices:

a. Accept a 5-yard penalty from the previous spot and have K rekick;

b. Accept a 5-yard penalty from the succeeding spot;

c. Put the ball in play at the inbounds spot 25 yards beyond the previous spot; or

d. Decline the penalty and put the ball in play at the inbounds spot.

bob jenkins Tue Aug 14, 2018 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie24 (Post 1023710)

ART. 9 . . . A free kick shall not be kicked out of bounds between the goal lines untouched inbounds by R. If it is kicked out of bounds and R does not accept a penalty for kick-catch interference on the same kick as in 6-5-4, R has the following choices:

c. Put the ball in play at the inbounds spot 25 yards beyond the previous spot; or

a NON official asks: what (in this context) is the difference between the "succeeding spot" and the "inbounds spot?" Or, are they the same and you are just giving R the option of taking the 5-yards? And, why would R ever decline the 5 yards?

HLin NC Tue Aug 14, 2018 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1023700)
There's no tack-on at all in Fed. The 5 yard penalty applies only if R makes K kick again.

Incorrect, there has been a rule change for 2018.

Reffing Rev. Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie24 (Post 1023710)

And PLEASE can we all remember that the inbound spot is the "HASH" on the side of the field on which the ball went out of bounds.

ilyazhito Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18pm

Inbounds spot= spot where ball will be next put into play inbounds (i.e. the nearest hash mark).

Succeeding spot = yard line on which the ball became dead at the end of the preceding play, used for enforcement of unsportsmanlike, non-player, dead ball fouls, and live ball fouls treated as dead ball (e.g. free kick out of bounds).

Now, both FED and NCAA allow 5 yards to be added to the spot where the ball went out of bounds, i.e. the succeeding spot.

CT1 Wed Aug 15, 2018 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1023712)
a NON official asks: what (in this context) is the difference between the "succeeding spot" and the "inbounds spot?" Or, are they the same and you are just giving R the option of taking the 5-yards? And, why would R ever decline the 5 yards?

They wouldn’t, although I’m sure someone could come up with a third-world play where they might want to. And in this instance, there’s no difference between the two terms.

bob jenkins Wed Aug 15, 2018 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1023727)
They wouldn’t, although I’m sure someone could come up with a third-world play where they might want to. And in this instance, there’s no difference between the two terms.

Thanks. Methinks the rule could have been edited / written better to allow for the new rule (just as in the other rule books with which I am familiar)

Robert Goodman Wed Aug 15, 2018 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1023727)

In at least one of the major codes, a team getting a penalty enforced is always allowed to decline the distance portion of the penalty, and ISTR someone here bringing up an example where they might.