The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

RefStripes

What happened to the RefStripes forum and website? I was a lurker for several years, and saw that the forum had a lot of valuable content on things at the different levels of football. The user and moderator named Rulesman died relatively recently. Maybe that has something to do with it, because he was a big contributor to the forum.

I have joined the website this year, and was active on it for a few weeks, until I found out this week that it no longer worked, and the domain was "parked" at GoDaddy.com. I also noticed that some RefStripes topics, like "Here we go again", about instant replay in high school football, started appearing here. Will RefStripes get back on its feet, or will former denizens like Ralph Damren and ElvisLives migrate here instead? I'd like to hear your takes on the issue.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Domain owner died.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

That's sad. I didn't realize that Rulesman was also the domain owner. Maybe another former moderator can buy the domain and keep the website running. Until then, both Rulesman and RefStripes will be sorely missed!
Old Wed Jun 06, 2018, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

The deadline to renew the domain is 6/27 at which point they will put it up for auction. If it goes up for auction, all of the posts and data will be lost. If anyone knows the family of Bob Dunham, that would be the best way to get it back up and running.

I spoke to GoDaddy and they gave me 3 options.

1. Send in Bob Dunham's death certificate. Then the domain ownership will pass to the family, who can then appoint a new admin.

2. Ask the family for Bob's email credentials. Then have someone reset the GoDaddy password and login. From there, the admin can be changed on the site.

3. Get the last 8 digits of the credit card used to pay fot the site. Then call GoDaddy and set up a new admin.

Otherwise, it will go to auction.

My condolences to the Dunham family.

Last edited by Mbilica; Wed Jun 06, 2018 at 08:52pm.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
The deadline to renew the domain is 6/27 at which point they will put it up for auction. If it goes up for auction, all of the posts and data will be lost. If anyone knows the family of Bob Dunham, that would be the best way to get it back up and running.

I spoke to GoDaddy and they gave me 3 options.

1. Send in Bob Dunham's death certificate. Then the domain ownership will pass to the family, who can then appoint a new admin.

2. Ask the family for Bob's email credentials. Then have someone reset the GoDaddy password and login. From there, the admin can be changed on the site.

3. Get the last 8 digits of the credit card used to pay fot the site. Then call GoDaddy and set up a new admin.

Otherwise, it will go to auction.

My condolences to the Dunham family.
What is the likelihood that this is going to auction? Is there anyone that would likely save the site? Does the family want to save the site?

Sounds like an easy fix unless they want to let it end.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

That's just it JRut, I don't know what the family's intentions are. I was thinking a forum member might want to take on the admin role and someone might be close to the family and could help facilitate it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jun 07, 2018, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Someone is attempting to reach out to Bob's family to see about taking over the website. If I get any other updates I will respond.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2018, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Someone is attempting to reach out to Bob's family to see about taking over the website. If I get any other updates I will respond.
Thanks for your initiative.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2018, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Refstripes.com will go up for auction on Thursday, June 21st. We need to get Bob's credentials before that date or else we lose all of the data at the very least. After that, it goes up for auction and we would need a quality admin to win it and start the site fresh.

Old Tue Jun 12, 2018, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

What exactly is going up for auction? Is it just the domain name at GoDaddy? If it is, then all the data is stored on somebody's web server somewhere and could theoretically be retrieved even if another person purchases the domain name.

Now, I suppose it's possible that if GoDaddy is hosting it in addition to being the registrar, they could also be auctioning off the webhost portion as well. But, that seems very unlikely. Data like that is usually considered to be the property of the customer (in this case, Bob). It's much more likely that the webhost company will simply delete the data after the subscription runs out.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2018, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully someone can get a hold of them and save the site!

I agree with Mbilica - even if we buy the domain name at the auction - the data will probably be DOA
Old Tue Jun 12, 2018, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

We could certainly recreate what would be needed here if efforts fail with RefStripes / GoDaddy -- various subforums, etc.

Not that I'm trying to do something here other than make an offer if needed.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2018, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I agree Rich. This would be an appropriate alternative if the need arose.

Old Tue Jun 12, 2018, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We could certainly recreate what would be needed here if efforts fail with RefStripes / GoDaddy -- various subforums, etc.

Not that I'm trying to do something here other than make an offer if needed.
As you know, the value is in old discussion topics that you can look back to. So it's more of the historical data that's more valuable than anything.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2018, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Would the site be online if someone made a payment or can only the account holder make the payment?