The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jsavorn Send a message via Yahoo to jsavorn
Thumbs down

Recently I had a play where the offense threw an int. and the covering official blew his wistle after a series of two fouls by the offensive team (both personal fouls).
How would I administer the penalties?
I gave the ball back to the offense and then penalized them 30 yards for the personal fouls. Is that correct?

BTW I think the rule that giving the ball back to the offense when there is an interception AND an I.W. (post interception) really isn't fair.

Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

The only way Team-A (the offense) would get the ball back would be for Team-B (the defense) to accept the penalties.

They intercepted the ball and were in possession before the IW.
I can't speak for the team-B coach, but I doubt he would want to accept the penalty and give the ball back to Team-A.

Secondly, if they did accept the penalty, they don't get to accept both for a 30 yard mark off. They would have to choose based on R's explanation. Hopefully he give the best option to choose. Of course that really would be to decline the fouls and keep the ball.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

On an IW you go to the team in possession of the ball when the whistle was blown first. They have the choice as to take the result of the play or replay the down. If there were penalties then the replay option would be removed if the penalties were accepted. So B gets to keep the ball unless they fouled prior to change of possession.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

If the fouls and I.W. occurred after the interception, the intercepting team gets to keep the ball You would administer the penalties from the point where the ball was when the whistle blew. Personal Foul penalties are administered as if they were Dead ball fouls
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
If the fouls and I.W. occurred after the interception, the intercepting team gets to keep the ball You would administer the penalties from the point where the ball was when the whistle blew. Personal Foul penalties are administered as if they were Dead ball fouls
In Jasons play situation, all the fouls were before the whistle. I know you prefaced your response with "if the fouls and IW occured after the INT", but he might have missed that and become more confused on enforcement.
Accepting penalties for dead ball fouls does not have the same ramification as accepting penalties for live ball fouls in the case of an IW.
Just a point, not a dissagreement.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jsavorn Send a message via Yahoo to jsavorn
Yea..here is what happend..
1. interception
2. the offense committed a personal fould
3. I.W.
4. the offense committed a second personal foul

What happend on the field
1. defense retained the ball
2. both fouls where marched off from when where the ball was when the IW occurred..

from what I'm understanding is that
1. is correct, but only the fould AFTER the IW should have marched off? OR was this done correctly?
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Both fouls can be enforced.

In your play, there was a change of possession, followed by a live ball foul by A, an inadvertent whistle, then finally a dead ball foul by A.

So its B's ball 1st and 10 after enforcing both penalties for the fouls by A.

Yes, both fouls can be enforced because the foul by A after the IW is a dead ball foul.

P.S. I hope that an official on your crew marked the the spot where B was when the IW occurred. That is the spot of enforcement for penalty administration (end of run for the live ball foul by B, and the succeeding spot for any dead ball fouls that occurred after the IW).

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Oct 14th, 2003 at 04:47 PM]
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Jasons clarification of just when those team-A fouls occurred alters the ruling quite a bit. Mike as it correct