The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:18pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Video Request: Wisconsin-Miami

13 and change to go in the first.

Replay review. What video were they watching?

Did I miss something here?

Last edited by FormerUmp; Sat Dec 30, 2017 at 08:23pm.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:20pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,381
It was coming out. Correct overturn. And I live in Wisconsin and am rooting for the Badgers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:23pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It was coming out. Correct overturn. And I live in Wisconsin and am rooting for the Badgers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had it coming out when his elbow hit the ground.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:59pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130


Yeah, I have this as a bad, bad miss.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:14pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,381


It's coming out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:32pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post


It's coming out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree to disagree, I guess.

I don't see the ball moving until after he's down, and I've watched it a lot. Had they called it a fumble on the field, I'd have overturned it to down. Given that it was called down-by-contact initially, I don't see the basis for an overturn at all.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:42pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Is there a different standard for players vs. coaches as far as contacting officials? Mark Richt seemed to get a fair amount of leeway towards the end of the first half.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:51pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,381
I think this is being overblown.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:52pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think this is being overblown.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The contact?

I think it's worth them discussing. As they're saying on the half-time show, people have certainly been ejected for less. Just yesterday, in fact.

How would you, as an official, have responded to his little shove?
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:54pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,381
I would've walked him to the sideline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 09:59pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would've walked him to the sideline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Weren't they already on the sideline at that point?

I understand that it's a judgment call on the officials' part as to how they view it. There were multiple officials there who didn't see a need to go any further with it, so I'm not suggesting they're "wrong" here. I'm just surprised because from what I've seen, that kind of contact is almost always an ejection. But that kind of contact is also most often coming from a player and not the head coach of the team.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post
Weren't they already on the sideline at that point?

I understand that it's a judgment call on the officials' part as to how they view it. There were multiple officials there who didn't see a need to go any further with it, so I'm not suggesting they're "wrong" here. I'm just surprised because from what I've seen, that kind of contact is almost always an ejection. But that kind of contact is also most often coming from a player and not the head coach of the team.
In my opinion the coach should have been tossed. He had already been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and then contacts the official in an agressive manner. To me this deserves an ejection given what else has been given ejections this year for contacting officials.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 10:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
In my opinion the coach should have been tossed. He had already been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct and then contacts the official in an agressive manner. To me this deserves an ejection given what else has been given ejections this year for contacting officials.
(From the movie "Roadhouse", "Be nice, until it's time not to be nice", which apparently the covering official had determined it was NOT time, to escalate which most certainly would have made things WORSE.

The job requires being the "calm in the storm", not the lightening or God forbid "the thunder". The ONLY person who KNOWS, the extent, of what actually transpired is the official involved, and he made HIS judgment.

We can ALWAYS escalate, when WE decide it's time, and there's good reason, "not to be nice".
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 02:12pm
Chain of Fools
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,540
Short of murder, I don't believe a D1 HFBC can be "ejected". Maybe in the book, but not in practice.

Much as I dislike Miami, that ball was coming loose prior to his elbow hitting the ground.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 04:32pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Short of murder, I don't believe a D1 HFBC can be "ejected". Maybe in the book, but not in practice.

Much as I dislike Miami, that ball was coming loose prior to his elbow hitting the ground.
Perhaps, but I still believe his knee was down first. Certainly not enough to overturn.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VT-Wisconsin Video Request Matt Basketball 2 Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:40pm
video request Iowa/Wisconsin (Video) blindzebra Basketball 7 Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:58am
Video Request Indiana Miami: Foul causes a travel (Video Added) Sharpshooternes Basketball 12 Fri May 24, 2013 04:44pm
Marquette/Miami Video Request stiffler3492 Basketball 4 Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:28pm
Miami/Illinois held ball video request VTOfficial Basketball 8 Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:37am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1