The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Live ball (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102933-live-ball.html)

Oklahoma official Tue Sep 19, 2017 09:23pm

Live ball

When does the football become live in dealing with the restricted area? Some officials say the restricted area needs to be clear as soon as the ball is signaled ready for play and others state that the restricted area must be clear at the snap? Which is it??

VA Official Tue Sep 19, 2017 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma official (Post 1009248)
When does the football become live in dealing with the restricted area? Some officials say the restricted area needs to be clear as soon as the ball is signaled ready for play and others state that the restricted area must be clear at the snap? Which is it??

NFHS 9-8-3 - "No player, nonplayer or coach shall be in the restricted area when the ball is live."

The ball is live at the snap.

JRutledge Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA Official (Post 1009249)
NFHS 9-8-3 - "No player, nonplayer or coach shall be in the restricted area when the ball is live."

The ball is live at the snap.

Or Free Kick. ;)

Peace

VA Official Wed Sep 20, 2017 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1009250)
Or Free Kick. ;)

Peace

Very true. In 100% honesty I had that in my post initially but deleted it because I thought it wasn't applicable to this.

TOMFLAB Wed Sep 20, 2017 02:39pm

In Washington state, we try 2 things: when the ready for play whistle is sounded, it's the signal for the coaches to get in the box, or when the offensive team is coming to the line of scrimmage. It's really not in the rule book, but let me know how your area addresss this.

BIG UMP Wed Sep 20, 2017 03:49pm

I ask coaches to vacate the "Safety" Zone when the snap is imminent, snapper puts his hands on the ball. Only once has a coach wanted to argue.

JRutledge Wed Sep 20, 2017 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA Official (Post 1009266)
Very true. In 100% honesty I had that in my post initially but deleted it because I thought it wasn't applicable to this.

The free kick is the time they often come onto the field when they are not allowed to during the play.

Peace

ajmc Wed Sep 20, 2017 07:11pm

There are two very distinctly different types of problems with violating the "restricted zone".

Those who allow the emotions of the moment to override their understanding of what are reasonable and practical restrictions, and those who CHOOSE to consistently defy those sensible restrictions, because they claim some imaginary authority to be there as some sort of titular and historic "right".

The solution is being able, and willing, to recognize the difference, and treat each problem appropriately.

HLin NC Fri Sep 22, 2017 01:16pm

NC interp- When the RFP is blown, the snap is imminent.