The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

They blew it!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-l...030309172.html

A ball that is not in a player’s possession is a loose ball: in-flight forward passes, fumbles, kicks, and backward passes are all loose balls. So, the blocked field goal remains a kick, but it is also a loose ball. And under no circumstance may a player deliberately kick a loose ball. (A ball being dropped for a legal punt or dropkick is not considered loose if it is kicked as usual.) So, at this point there is a foul for an illegal kick. This being Division III, we are under NCAA rules, and the illegal kick is a 15-yard penalty and a loss of down. Assuming this is a fourth down, this would be a turnover on downs.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-l...030309172.html

A ball that is not in a player’s possession is a loose ball: in-flight forward passes, fumbles, kicks, and backward passes are all loose balls. So, the blocked field goal remains a kick, but it is also a loose ball. And under no circumstance may a player deliberately kick a loose ball. (A ball being dropped for a legal punt or dropkick is not considered loose if it is kicked as usual.) So, at this point there is a foul for an illegal kick. This being Division III, we are under NCAA rules, and the illegal kick is a 15-yard penalty and a loss of down. Assuming this is a fourth down, this would be a turnover on downs.
An illegal kick is under 6-3-10. This is not an illegal kick. This is illegally kicking the ball, per 9-4-4. Two very different fouls. If it was an illegal kick, it's 5 yards not "15" anyways, and the play is immediately blown dead. This isn't high school. The proper enforcement is 10 yards from the spot and LOD for illegally kicking the ball. The foul takes place inside the 10 yard line, so B should decline and take the ball at the 20 after an unsuccessful FG.

Last edited by VA Official; Mon Sep 18, 2017 at 01:40pm.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Beat me to it, VA Official.