The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Old Fashion Drop Kick used for Kickoff

In high school football, is it legal on kickoff for the kicker to set the ball on the tee, signal he is ready and the ready for play whistle is blown and then the kicker walks back to the tee, picks up the ball and at that position of the tee executes an old-fashioned dropkick to put the kickoff in play. I'm 99% sure this is legal at the college level but what about high school?
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf View Post
In high school football, is it legal on kickoff for the kicker to set the ball on the tee, signal he is ready and the ready for play whistle is blown and then the kicker walks back to the tee, picks up the ball and at that position of the tee executes an old-fashioned dropkick to put the kickoff in play. I'm 99% sure this is legal at the college level but what about high school?
I don't know of any rule that prohibits it. Therefore legal in my mind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Drop Kick

Under NCAA rules (which is what we use here in Texas) you can do drop kick to kick off.
Kickoff
ARTICLE 6. A kickoff is a free kick that starts each half and follows each try or field
goal (Exception: In extra periods). It must be a place kick or a drop kick.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Wolf View Post
As long as he kicks from the same spot that the ball was on the tee. To me, when he placed the ball on the tee, he designated his spot of the kick. If he drop kicks from that spot instead of using the tee, that's fine.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

A free kick shall be made from any point between the hash marks and on K's free-kick line. A punt may not be used for a free kick other than after a safety. Once designated, K must kick from that spot. When a punt is used following a safety, the ball must be kicked within one step behind K's free-kick line. In an emergency, such as a pool of water on K's free-kick line, the referee has authority to move the ball to a playable line. in which case, both free-kick lines are moved to compensate.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't know anyone do that these day? Back when I was playing freshman football at Maine, we had a guy who did drop kicks for kick offs, extra points, and field goals. He was pretty good at it as I recall.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: 2-24-6: "A drop kick is a legal kick by a player who drops the ball and kicks it when it touches the ground or as it is rising from the ground. A drop kick may be used for a scrimmage kick, a kickoff, a free kick following a safety or for a free kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch."