The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Wide Receiver fails to be set for one second (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102859-wide-receiver-fails-set-one-second.html)

johnyd Mon Aug 07, 2017 04:39pm

Wide Receiver fails to be set for one second

If a wide receiver is running out to take his position prior to the snap. Just as he is coming to a stop but before he is set for one second the quarterback snaps the ball. What do we have?

Is this a flag and whistle, dead ball false start?
Or a flag but no whistle, Live ball, illegal motion. Let the play run through.

smileyh Mon Aug 07, 2017 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 1008560)
If a wide receiver is running out to take his position prior to the snap. Just as he is coming to a stop but before he is set for one second the quarterback snaps the ball. What do we have?

Flag, but no whistle. Illegal shift.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Rich Mon Aug 07, 2017 09:45pm

Depends on the rule set.

NCAA this converts to a false start.

NFHS, check local practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VA Official Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 1008560)

For NFHS, this has to be a live-ball illegal shift. It can't be a false start because the player is clearly not simulating the snap, he's getting into position as you said. It can't be illegal motion because the player never came to a complete stop for one second (with all other teammates simultaneously stopped as well), which is required to go in motion.

bigjohn Sun Aug 13, 2017 04:23pm

No one calls this anymore so, nothing!

JRutledge Sun Aug 13, 2017 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 1008720)
No one calls this anymore so, nothing!

You should have watched our crew, we called this several times last year alone and when I worked with another crew for 3 playoff games, we called this (me being one of them) called this and I was not in my normal position and was a wing. It probably was called 4 or 5 times in my playoffs with a crew I never worked with during the season between me and my opposite wing. ;)

Peace

Hand Signals Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:12am

In my 11 years as a Linesman or Line Judge I have made this call several times per season. Explain this to a coach and you can bet the wide out will move a little faster and the QB will be more diligent about waiting till the WO is set.

ajmc Wed Aug 23, 2017 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hand Signals (Post 1008764)
In my 11 years as a Linesman or Line Judge I have made this call several times per season. Explain this to a coach and you can bet the wide out will move a little faster and the QB will be more diligent about waiting till the WO is set.

An ounce of prevention can still be worth a pound of cure, when applied early enough.