The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle

Rule 4, section 2 Article 3, describes in A,B,C,D different scenarios of an inadvertent whistle. It is written in lawyer mumbo jumbo that I cannot understand.
I know that an inadvertent whistle means we are playing the down over. What does all the rest of that mean?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyd View Post
Rule 4, section 2 Article 3, describes in A,B,C,D different scenarios of an inadvertent whistle. It is written in lawyer mumbo jumbo that I cannot understand.
I know that an inadvertent whistle means we are playing the down over. What does all the rest of that mean?
A. During a legal forward pass or during a legal kick, if there's an IW, the down must be replayed (if all penalties are declined). No options.

B. If there's a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass or illegal kick and an IW occurs while ball is still loose, the team who lost possession can choose to take the ball at the spot where they lost the ball or to replay the down (if all penalties are declined).

C. If a player is in possession of the ball when an IW occurs, the team in possession can choose to take the ball at the spot when the whistle was blown, or to replay the down (if all penalties are declined).

D. An accepted penalty for a live-ball foul nullifies an IW and we enforce the penalty using the normal all-but-one principle.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

inadvertent Whistle

I could have read that section a thousand times and I would never had understood. Thank you for that explanation. Why can't they write the rule book that way?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could have read that section a thousand times and I would never had understood. Thank you for that explanation. Why can't they write the rule book that way?
Because the way I simplified it has potential holes in it for certain situations to not be covered. The "legal speak" in essence covers all the bases, even though it's harder to understand. The NFHS/Referee.com actually produce a simplified and illustrated version every year, although it is unofficial and the official rules book will always supersede if there are conflicts between the two. I've heard it's much more plain English and easier to understand. The link is below.

https://store.referee.com/2017-nfhs-...ed-illustrated
Old Wed Aug 09, 2017, 07:22am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Purchase a Reddings NFHS Guide, great study aid and breaks down rules very well.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Purchase a Reddings NFHS Guide, great study aid and breaks down rules very well.
Agree wholeheartedly! The Redding guide is written in easy to understand language. Well worth the 20 bucks.