The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Kickoff from the 5 yard line? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101895-kickoff-5-yard-line.html)

Reffing Rev. Wed Nov 30, 2016 08:54am

Kickoff from the 5 yard line?

Nebraska class A championship.

Team A, previously undefeated trails big. A scores a touchdown and commits a UNS. Enforcement is chosen for the kickoff. After the try another UNS by A, with succeeding spot enforcement. Kicking from K's 10 yard line, OFK (ENC) by K on the ensuing kickoff. Ball is then kicked off from K's 5.

Am I correct that we should be at the 7.5? Or do we always kick from a big line? I can't find a rule stating as such, but I'm sitting at home so I assume this crew knows their rules better than me.

MD Longhorn Wed Nov 30, 2016 09:46am

We kick off from where we're supposed to kick off from ... no "big line" anything, whatever that is.

But half the distance from the 10 is the 5. How are you getting 7.5?

stratref Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:58am

Because the 2nd USC should have moved the ball to the 12.5 and not the 10.

Jasper

OKREF Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:06am

Start from the 40--15 yd penalty moves it to the 25.

25 yd line--15 yd penalty, which is now half the distance, moves it to the 12.5

12.5 yd line--5 yd penalty, moves it to the 7.5

BIG UMP Wed Nov 30, 2016 04:52pm

No Rev. they fouled up the enforcement.

Robert Goodman Thu Dec 01, 2016 08:10am

I'm still trying to figure out the choices team R has after a free kick to out-of-bounds when there's not enough distance from the previous spot to the goal line to take the previous-spot+25-yards option. The only thing I've gotten here is that they just can't take that choice, no specific alternative for that case.

HLin NC Thu Dec 01, 2016 08:50am

That option is removed.

6.1.9 SITUATION H:

Team K, after accepting the penalties for multiple R fouls, is now free kicking from R's 20-yard line. In attempting to onside kick, the ball goes out bounds untouched in the field of play.

RULING: R may take the ball at the inbounds spot, or accept the 5-yard penalty and have K re-kick from R's 25-yard line.

MD Longhorn Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 993920)
I'm still trying to figure out the choices team R has after a free kick to out-of-bounds when there's not enough distance from the previous spot to the goal line to take the previous-spot+25-yards option. The only thing I've gotten here is that they just can't take that choice, no specific alternative for that case.

Confused.

If you have the answer... why are you still trying to figure it out?

Robert Goodman Thu Dec 01, 2016 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 993929)
Confused.

If you have the answer... why are you still trying to figure it out?

I didn't know it'd been answered in a case book.

Texas Aggie Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33pm

Quote:

That option is removed.
Do you really need a case play to tell you that? (Not trying to sound snotty -- so apologize if that comes across that way.)

Now, if someone were to argue that the distance puts the ball in Team B's end zone and that results in a touchback, THEN I agree. But a potential enforcement spot that makes the next snap not possible (without further comment) to me, is unavailable.

Are there any exceptions to this idea in either Fed or NCAA? I can't think of any in the latter.

Suudy Sat Dec 03, 2016 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 994088)
Now, if someone were to argue that the distance puts the ball in Team B's end zone and that results in a touchback, THEN I agree. But a potential enforcement spot that makes the next snap not possible (without further comment) to me, is unavailable.

It does make me think of the case where kicking from R's 10 to the GL makes an onside kick recovery effectively impossible....

But then again, I've never seen a kickoff from anywhere near R's GL. I think the farthest I've ever seen is from R's 45.

Robert Goodman Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 994088)
Do you really need a case play to tell you that? (Not trying to sound snotty -- so apologize if that comes across that way.)

What confuses the matter is your writing "enforcement spot". If it were a penalty, there'd be a half-the-distance enforcement. But it was pointed out to me that it's not a penalty, just a choice that the non-offending team has. It's like a spot of first touching, which also is not referenced as a penalty.

Robert Goodman Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 994100)
It does make me think of the case where kicking from R's 10 to the GL makes an onside kick recovery effectively impossible....

And if K wants to preserve that possibility, they can decline the distance that'd make it impossible.

MD Longhorn Mon Dec 05, 2016 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 993991)
I didn't know it'd been answered in a case book.

It has, but that's not what I was referring to ... you said, "The only thing I've gotten here is that they just can't take that choice"

... which is the answer to your question.

Texas Aggie Tue Dec 06, 2016 01:01am

Quote:

What confuses the matter is your writing "enforcement spot".
I said, "POTENTIAL enforcement spot." And by that I meant a choice that became unavailable because it was impossible. Sort of like a loss of down penalty on a foul by Team B. However, that exception is clarified.

If that's not what you're stating, then I'm not sure of your point. I reread the issue and my response and it is relevant.