The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Period Extension

Feel like we got it right, but it's an interesting play for discussion. I'm new here and thought I'd share.

A 3rd and 10 at A28, 0:03 seconds in the 2nd quarter. A throws and interception which is returned to the A30. During the return, B blocks in the back. After the play, A late hits. Time expire during the play.

A was offered first option of accept/decline. If accepted, B would get one play with possession following enforcement of both fouls. If declined, the half would end and A's personal foul would be enforced on the second half kickoff.

A chose to decline the illegal block in the back foul.

Thoughts? There was minor dissension among my crew. Thanks!
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 09:55am
Chain of Fools

Sounds right to me. The "anti's" in your crew, what did they propose as an alternative?

3-3 -ART. 3 . . . A period shall be extended by an untimed down if one of the following occurred during a down in which time expires:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty is accepted, except for those fouls listed in 3-3-4b.

I had a somewhat similar circumstance in my MS game yesterday. Visitors score TD with :05 to go in the 3rd. During the subsequent kickoff return, Home player (R49) holds near midfield as time expires during the free kick down.

K (visitor's) accepts the penalty so I have the U mark off 10 yds and give R, now A, an untimed down. HL shoots me a quizzical look as visitor HC starts stating the foul was on the defense (????). I went through it in my mind- live ball foul during a down where the period has expired, accepted penalty = untimed down. Once I explained it that way and told him he could decline the penalty and we'd move the ball back 10 yards to the end of the run he hushed.

My only issue in retrospect was not really offering K all the options available to them at the time.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 10:10am
NFHS Official

I was going to ask why A would decline the block in the back, but nevermind....oops.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A 3rd and 10 at A28, 0:03 seconds in the 2nd quarter. A throws and interception which is returned to the A30. During the return, B blocks in the back. After the play, A late hits. Time expire during the play.
NCAA rule: I can see no rational reason for Team A to accept the penalty, so the half will end and the penalty for Team A's foul will be enforced on the second half kickoff. IF Team A insists on accepting the penalty, enforce both fouls and play an untimed down.
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
NCAA rule: I can see no rational reason for Team A to accept the penalty, so the half will end and the penalty for Team A's foul will be enforced on the second half kickoff. IF Team A insists on accepting the penalty, enforce both fouls and play an untimed down.
A rational reason would be to not start the 2nd half with a 15 yarder against them. Depends a lot on exactly where B's penalty was though... if deep in B's territory, perhaps there's very little risk of B scoring on the untimed down.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 06, 2016, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said, it was minor. More like "are you sure, that doesn't feel right" kinda thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk