The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Sideline Warning/Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101654-sideline-warning-interference.html)

tankmjg24 Thu Sep 22, 2016 02:09pm

Sideline Warning/Interference

I have a middle school game coming up that involves a team with a history of ignoring sideline rules. They have 4 coaches and each one of them wants to be out at the numbers signaling plays. I have heard that there has been instances of them being on the field during live play too. I will be the official on their sideline, and I am curious how you all would go about enforcing the rules. I hate to sit and warn all game or throw flags, which is why I am asking for opinions. Thanks.

Welpe Thu Sep 22, 2016 02:38pm

Start at pre-game. Ask the head coach if he has a get back coach or if you should talk to him directly about working to keep the restricted area clear.

From there get on it early in the game. Start at kick off and ensure you have a clear restricted area. First play from scrimmage, let the coach know what's acceptable if they aren't where you need them to be. If they want to persist, drop a flag for a warning, preferably after they've had a big play and are afraid it might get called back.

Stay consistent with the coaches and keep on them. You feel like a hard ass doing it but this is your safety and theirs we're talking about also.

ajmc Thu Sep 22, 2016 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 991032)
Start at pre-game. Ask the head coach if he has a get back coach or if you should talk to him directly about working to keep the restricted area clear.

From there get on it early in the game. Start at kick off and ensure you have a clear restricted area. First play from scrimmage, let the coach know what's acceptable if they aren't where you need them to be. If they want to persist, drop a flag for a warning, preferably after they've had a big play and are afraid it might get called back.

Stay consistent with the coaches and keep on them. You feel like a hard ass doing it but this is your safety and theirs we're talking about also.

Absolutely agree, the comments to the HC before the game should be a collaboration with the Referee, so there's no question you're a united front.

I'm a firm believer in "Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice", but when it's time NOT to be nice, nicety is no longer a primary concern. One thing about sideline flags, when unfortunately necessary, they won't wear out, and if there are really slow learners, there will ultimately be fewer of them.

In so many ways, "The only thing accomplished by ignoring, tolerating, condoning bad behavior is encouraging more of it".

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 22, 2016 04:54pm

Sit and warn all game?

As in any sport... warn ONCE (if at all). Then flag. They'll learn.

Rich Thu Sep 22, 2016 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 991031)
I have a middle school game coming up that involves a team with a history of ignoring sideline rules. They have 4 coaches and each one of them wants to be out at the numbers signaling plays. I have heard that there has been instances of them being on the field during live play too. I will be the official on their sideline, and I am curious how you all would go about enforcing the rules. I hate to sit and warn all game or throw flags, which is why I am asking for opinions. Thanks.

Don't let them come out to signal plays. There, solved. :)

Altor Thu Sep 22, 2016 08:52pm

And since you mentioned it was a middle school game, I think I would tend to be less lenient than I would in a varsity game. The coaches need to learn the rules just like the athletes do at that level. Nip it in the bud now before they get to be V coaches.

whitehat Fri Sep 23, 2016 02:48pm

Told the head Coach last night in the pregame: "Coach, we need the restricted area clear during the live ball and we will enforce it. I am sure your Get Back Guy will help us with that; What's his name?..." Flag it early with a clear conscience :-)...

w_sohl Wed Sep 28, 2016 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 991032)

This! I did this recently against the #1 team in the state in probably what will be the best game of the season from a quality of teams standpoint. At least till the state finals. 1Q, Big play for his team, had to side step a coach. Waited till the play was over and casually dropped the flag and alerted my WH with my whistle and went and reported. Coach said nothing and I had no problems the rest of the game.

Canned Heat Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:05am

This starts at the pregame conference for both and continues all the way thru. 5 man crews here in WI here and our 4 tending the sidelines for the kickoff will reiterate this message a time or two at both benches as we are getting set for the opening whistle. The teams realize right then and there that they are going to be watched the entire night and this tends to get the ball rolling in your crews favor right from the start. Usually will take a few mentions and maybe a flag to get the point across....and be ready for the "nobody has called this on us all year" stuff. The other 3 coaches screaming for the timeout will be your next hurdle....and I wouldn't have been surprised if you would've said 8 or 9 coaches. Good luck.