The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free kick after safety (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101621-free-kick-after-safety.html)

big jake Fri Sep 09, 2016 09:16pm

Free kick after safety

I decides to punt and the ball goes out of bounds. What are the options?

HLin NC Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:05pm

Free kick, same options.

big jake Sat Sep 10, 2016 09:36am

If the ball goes out of bounds on the punt is it still a foul

CT1 Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31am

R can choose to:

(1) Take the ball at the OOB spot.
(2) Take the ball 25 yards from the free kick spot.
(3) Penalize K 5 yards and rekick.

big jake Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53am

Thanks, thought I was right but this has never happened in a game till last night

Texas Aggie Sat Sep 10, 2016 01:34pm

Quote:

Take the ball at the OOB spot.
Interesting. NCAA gives them OOB + 5 as an option, effectively negating EITHER the 30 yard OR spot plus 5 since only one of the two would be appropriate (as is still the case here, but different yardage options).

I'm wondering where else in the rule book (Fed or NCAA) that one penalty option is to take the result of the play. Not talking about declining the penalty but accepting it.

Robert Goodman Sat Sep 10, 2016 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 990623)
Interesting. NCAA gives them OOB + 5 as an option, effectively negating EITHER the 30 yard OR spot plus 5 since only one of the two would be appropriate (as is still the case here, but different yardage options).

I'm wondering where else in the rule book (Fed or NCAA) that one penalty option is to take the result of the play. Not talking about declining the penalty but accepting it.

Taking the ball at the OOB spot in Fed is declining the penalty.

HLin NC Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:18pm

It's still a free kick, whether on a tee or a punt after a safety, so the same options apply. Don't confuse the term punt in regards to a free kick as in its normal use with a scrimmage kick.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:16am

Quote:

Taking the ball at the OOB spot in Fed is declining the penalty.
Well, my point is that under NCAA rules it makes no sense to decline a penalty for a free kick out of bounds. The receiving team WILL take one of the options.

Robert Goodman Wed Sep 14, 2016 08:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 990803)
Well, my point is that under NCAA rules it makes no sense to decline a penalty for a free kick out of bounds. The receiving team WILL take one of the options.

But the way you stated it before was wrong. The way you stated it here was right.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:34pm

Quote:

But the way you stated it before was wrong.
Specifically what part of what I said here was wrong:

Quote:

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 15, 2016 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 990833)
Specifically what part of what I said here was wrong:

You implied that you could take the result of the play and the penalty, which it may look like NCAA allows, but not really. It's just that the OOB spot can be taken as the enforcement spot. Same principle as PSK enforcement: where the kick ended.