The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   LastChance U (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101541-lastchance-u.html)

mu4scott Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:39am

LastChance U

Was this fight ever discussed on the board?

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/178028226" width="640" height="361" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/178028226">Video</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user25214186">KC Sports Radio</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

JRutledge Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:58am

It might help if we have some context to this situation? When did this even take place?

Peace

HLin NC Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:51am

Nope.

D3 game, maybe?

The sideline guy in the jacket could have been a prospective college official (not anymore probably) or a HS official working the game to chart penalties. At my former location, our local association provided the chain crews for the local 1AA university and I think the clip man kept the penalty chart. He put his hands-on first from the video so no matter what was said he's not going to win..

JRutledge Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 989688)
Nope.

D3 game, maybe?

The sideline guy in the jacket could have been a prospective college official (not anymore probably) or a HS official working the game to chart penalties. At my former location, our local association provided the chain crews for the local 1AA university and I think the clip man kept the penalty chart. He put his hands-on first from the video so no matter what was said he's not going to win..

Yeah it is possible this is not an official, but probably is one observing or doing something to help the crew. Now I have no idea the context of this video because we do not know where or what level. So I really am at a loss as to why the coach is even approaching him that way. I do not care if he is an official or not, you get in my space that might be my only remedy. If I was an official on the game, my reaction is easy. That is why so much is unknown. When we have an official charting penalties, they are not in any part of the uniform at any lower level college or high school level. I cannot speak for this situation as there seems to be some coverage of this confrontation. I know I would have as the wing official put that coach in his place.

Peace

isuphloyd Mon Aug 08, 2016 01:23pm

Junior College football in Mississippi. The guy on the sideline was saying something to the officials on the field, the coach told him to let the field guys handle it. Chaos erupts. On Netflix "Last Chance U"

JRutledge Mon Aug 08, 2016 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by isuphloyd (Post 989691)
Junior College football

That is all I needed to know. Thanks.

Peace

HLin NC Mon Aug 08, 2016 01:54pm

The wing had an NCAA or CFO patch on his sleeve, that is why I thought D3. When I did chains, we wore the socks and knickers, a white shirt, and the conference logo hat.

JRutledge Mon Aug 08, 2016 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 989693)
The wing had an NCAA or CFO patch on his sleeve, that is why I thought D3.

Many of us that work in the CFO (Here that is the Alliance that is under the Big Ten umbrella with the MAC, Missouri Valley or other D3 football in the area), also work NAIA or JUCO in certain circumstances. I do not change my shirt or we do not change our shirt because it is technically not a CFO umbrella game.

The guy in the black jacket probably was an official and needed to show more restraint overall considering his role in the situation. But just because you run up on someone, they might not be professional to you and the coach was out of line telling him anything about what he was doing or saying to the official. For one even if he is there, his role and responsibility is to the crew, not the coach. It is like the coach telling a crew member, "That is not your call to make." Well he has no idea what my role is most of the time and needs to stay in his place talking to someone about what they are supposed to be doing. I do not see officials telling coaches what play to call or who is responsible for substitutions. That is not the coach's role here at all.

I'm just sayin....

Peace

ajmc Mon Aug 08, 2016 04:40pm

Two wrongs never equals a "right" and the second "wrong" doesn't absolve the first one. If the fool with the beard was actually a coach, he was totally and unbelievably WRONG and started the whole thing.

That doesn't excuse the "official" in the black jacket from overreacting, although there's no telling what the fool said, that prompted the excessive reaction. Then to chase him onto the field WHILE THE BALL WAS ALIVE is incredible.

Stupid is, as STUPID does, and this fool needs to spend a lot of time in the locker room picking up and cleaning towels before he's allowed anywhere near an active sideline during a game or embarrassing himself in front of players.

"Self Control" is something we're all responsible for when we grow up.

mu4scott Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:02am

My bad for not giving more info...

As was said previously this was a juco game in Missississippi. Coach served a two game suspension and not sure what happened to the official.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 989695)

The guy in the black jacket probably was an official and needed to show more restraint overall considering his role in the situation. But just because you run up on someone, they might not be professional to you and the coach was out of line telling him anything about what he was doing or saying to the official.

IMO the official in the black jacket had no business telling the coach to backup/get off the field. He's showing up his line judge who was right there. Then to get in a verbal fight with the coach which results in a physical altercation is something that should result in immediate termination.

mu4scott Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:14am

Article on the aftermath...

EMCC’s Stephens suspended two games | Sports | meridianstar.com

HLin NC Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19am

Quote:

IMO the official in the black jacket had no business telling the coach to backup/get off the field. He's showing up his line judge who was right there. Then to get in a verbal fight with the coach which results in a physical altercation is something that should result in immediate termination.
I've no idea what he told the coach. Any problems he had as an ancillary official with team personnel, he should have addressed with the wing official he was shadowing. I imagine if he was an actual official at that level, he no longer is. If he was a helper, I'm betting he no longer helps.

I was glad to read that the coach accepted responsibility, that's rare these days.

JRutledge Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:53am

Unless I hear that was the result, I am not convinced that is what happened to that "official." Seen many things in my years that you would think ends the opportunities of someone only to have them bounce back. I would never recommend this being done by anyone, but I would not be surprised if he works in the future. What I am sure is the case, there is a better procedure or standard of what those "officials" are to do on the sideline and probably something from the school or conference on what their role actually is and how the officials and coaches will interact in the future.

Peace

JRutledge Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott (Post 989719)

Well that depends on the role of that person and what they are there to do as a part of the crew. When the bigger levels have an alternate, they are often interacting with coaches and sometimes are the people that give rules and interpretations to the coach on that sideline. Now that might be what he was asked to do on some level. I do not know and no one here seems to know a lot about this situation outside of this video. And it appeared the coach got upset with the guy in the jacket when he was talking to the official. That is not the coach's right to tell me or anyone how to interact with someone when I am not directly interfering with the play on the field. He needed to stay in his lane. And again a lot is not known as we do not know the procedures for this official that were set in place before they got into a fight.

Peace

mu4scott Tue Aug 09, 2016 02:54pm

The official in the jacket was telling the asst. coach to get back where he belongs.

As an alternate offical I don't think that's his job to interact with coaches in that capacity.

JRutledge Tue Aug 09, 2016 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott (Post 989741)
The official in the jacket was telling the asst. coach to get back where he belongs.

As an alternate offical I don't think that's his job to interact with coaches in that capacity.

The coach started the entire confrontation by telling him what he should do in relationship with the other coach. If the coach stays in his lane this never starts in the first place.

Peace

mu4scott Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:09am

We can agree to disagree. I think if the alternate official doesn't overstep his role then the situation wouldn't have happened.

JRutledge Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott (Post 989759)
We can agree to disagree. I think if the alternate official doesn't overstep his role then the situation wouldn't have happened.

I do not even know what we are agreeing to disagree for. We saw part of the video and a coach curing at a guy.

Also I do not know what levels you work or understand, but that person if an alternate (we still do not know) has very direct responsibilities and I saw not a single thing that would suggest that what he was doing before the coach went off he was outside of his role.

Peace

mu4scott Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:14pm

Let's say that he is an alternate official.

At the collegiate level part of his responsibilites is interacting with coaches and enforcing sideline infractions? I work HS so I'm asking this because I do not know.

JRutledge Wed Aug 10, 2016 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott (Post 989765)
Let's say that he is an alternate official.

At the collegiate level part of his responsibilites is interacting with coaches and enforcing sideline infractions? I work HS so I'm asking this because I do not know.

Part of his responsibility is to interact with the crew on certain situations and sometimes deal with the coaches for specific communication as well. He was confronted by the coach and I see nothing wrong with him telling him what his job is there to do, which he did. Then the coach got all froggy and tried to tell him what he has to let the crew do, which first of all is not his job to tell anyone what they can or cannot do associated with the crew.

Also we was not enforcing a rule, he was interacting with the crew. That is likely why he is there and probably is charting plays, which kind of requires you to interact with the crew. And he had a clipboard in his hand which tells me he was charting something. The coach was completely out of line. But the "official" allowed himself to get baited into that confrontation as well.

Peace

InsideTheStripe Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 989767)
Part of his responsibility is to interact with the crew on certain situations and sometimes deal with the coaches for specific communication as well. He was confronted by the coach and I see nothing wrong with him telling him what his job is there to do, which he did. Then the coach got all froggy and tried to tell him what he has to let the crew do, which first of all is not his job to tell anyone what they can or cannot do associated with the crew.

Also we was not enforcing a rule, he was interacting with the crew. That is likely why he is there and probably is charting plays, which kind of requires you to interact with the crew. And he had a clipboard in his hand which tells me he was charting something. The coach was completely out of line. But the "official" allowed himself to get baited into that confrontation as well.

Peace

I'm having a hard time seeing where you're coming from here, Jeff.

The first video is pretty damn clear. alternate official (AO)/penalty charter (PC) was inserting himself as sideline management or a a get back coach. If I were the L, I'd have been telling the AO/PC to STFU and let me do my job long before it got to that. The fact that the coach called him out for not being on the same page as the L and things quickly escalated from there doesn't excuse the behavior or the AO/PC. He escalated the situation. He being the first to make it personal verbally. He being the one to make the first physical contact. He being the one to throw the first punch. He being the one to throw his clipboard at the coach.

If I'm a coordinator of officials in a NCAA conference or a HS administrator, he doesn't work again.

ajmc Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:21am

It's really NOT a complicated arrangement, For whatever PRIMARY reason a Game Official is on the sideline, he also has an obligation (as an adult) to ignore the emotions of the situation and maintain the DESIGNED safety (rules & procedures) for EVERYONE on that sideline.

Coaches (including Head coaches) have a completely different function, but are also adults, and although subject to a higher level of emotional involvement are EXPECTED & REQUIRED to adhere to established guidelines. Game situations often dictate unanticipated emotional responses that necessitate REMINDERS (hopefully gentle) to regain appropriate composure, when it may have been temporarily misplaced.

There is NO reasonable expectation that such reminders be continual, and should always be constructive and civil. However, as suggestions BETWEEN ADULTS they are EXPECTED to be taken positively and quickly and quietly followed. There is NO LEGITIMATE REASON for discussion, debate or argument (at that moment). Should complaint EVER be necessary, it should be registered AFTER the contest AWAY from the field of play, through appropriate, designated channels.

Recipients, of gentle, constructive and civil reminders are not required to agree with them, but they ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY, regardless of whether they agree.

The objective of sideline safety rules is not flags and penalties, it is SIDELINE SAFETY (protecting players, officials & coaches), which is BEST maintained with occasional (constructive and civil) reminders that generate appropriate AND IMMEDIATE compliance, which AVOIDS the necessity of flags and penalties.

In short, gentlemen, when you're reminded to step back, SHUT UP and step back (and allow the "beat" to go on). Otherwise, you embarrass yourselves, and more importantly, the game we are all PRIVILEGED to participate in.

JRutledge Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe (Post 989817)
I'm having a hard time seeing where you're coming from here, Jeff.

The first video is pretty damn clear. alternate official (AO)/penalty charter (PC) was inserting himself as sideline management or a a get back coach. If I were the L, I'd have been telling the AO/PC to STFU and let me do my job long before it got to that. The fact that the coach called him out for not being on the same page as the L and things quickly escalated from there doesn't excuse the behavior or the AO/PC. He escalated the situation. He being the first to make it personal verbally. He being the one to make the first physical contact. He being the one to throw the first punch. He being the one to throw his clipboard at the coach.

For one I have no idea what the conflict was over. So it seems like there is an assumption of what was said or done before the video started. Obviously there was something going on before the video showed their interaction to me. Secondly, chain crews often tell coaches to move back or to move out of the way and they are also considered to be apart of the officiating crew. So this position that he could not say something to anyone on the sideline IMO is stupid. I also disagree with "who started it" because if you had words with me, it is not your right to run up on my and invade my space. Sorry, when you do that, you have turned this into something else and if I was an official and that was done, I would have actions to prevent that from happening again or at least be penalized. You do not have the right to try to intimidate someone with your presence. And that is why IMO the coach got suspended not one, but two games. That is a big penalty for that individual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe (Post 989817)
If I'm a coordinator of officials in a NCAA conference or a HS administrator, he doesn't work again.

That is fine, but not part of my discussions here. I would still want some clarification of the entire story, not just what happen on the video. And I am sure there was more to this story and in some cased might penalize the official that was allowing other actions if reported.

Peace