The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 11:56am
Small Business Owner

Does this site ever discuss football?

On the surface it appears all the football threads have been deleted?

What's up with that?

Last edited by KWH; Sun Apr 17, 2016 at 12:00pm.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

The other threads just get hidden after a certain time period. At the bottom of the forum there's a "Display Options" section. Change the "From the" tab to a longer time frame to show the older threads.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 11:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Yep they just get hidden by default after a certain time. You can change your forum display preferences in the User CP to adjust that. I have mine set to not hide anything.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 09:19am
Chain of Fools

Its a lack of traffic on this board.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

What do you want to discuss? If you have something to discuss throw it out there. But it is the off-season and I know me and others are doing other sports on some level too. Not much to discuss in high school as it appears there are no real big changes for this coming year.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 12:52pm
NFHS Official

During football season we do.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

A lot of NCAA guys have moved on due to the lack of NCAA rules discussion. Not a criticism, per se, but an observation.

Another reason I wish states would drop Fed football rules and use NCAA. So much better code and officials moving up no longer have to worry about 2 different sets of rules and penalty enforcements.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 01:27pm
Chain of Fools

Message/bulletin boards are decreasing overall. Facebook, instagram, and snapchat seem to be replacing them.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 04:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
A lot of NCAA guys have moved on due to the lack of NCAA rules discussion. Not a criticism, per se, but an observation.

Another reason I wish states would drop Fed football rules and use NCAA. So much better code and officials moving up no longer have to worry about 2 different sets of rules and penalty enforcements.
So 48 states should move in the direction of 2?
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To each his own. I know a lot of people that work both that enjoy the simplicity of NFHS.

Also, what Rich said.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not going to happen. Everyone is not like Texas when it comes to football. Some states hardly care. It is basketball most of the year and football only is a concern for those schools that really care. So I do not see any push for NCAA rules when it only is a focus at the high school level for such a short period of the year. I doubt my state would ever consider this seriously. And all other sports are NF, why have a solution where there is no problem?

Let me also add, I do both codes and NF are much easier to navigate. NCAA has exceptions to everything and you have to know the rules and the exceptions to the rules. NF rules are straight-forward. This happens, this is the application. NCAA is more like, "This happens, but we might do this if this happens and we might do that, if that happens."

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Apr 20, 2016 at 01:36am.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 12:54pm
Small Business Owner

Nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
+1 - Nuff said
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 05:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Well why not? Then everyone would get to enjoy hearing high school coaches tell you "Come on that's a college rule!"

"Yes, exactly coach."

Though I didn't understand why Texas football had to be so special as to not follow the rules that every other high school sport in the state did, I did not mind that we called under NCAA rules. I think it is the better ruleset but I'm also not about to advocate that other states adopt it.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2016, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Well why not? Then everyone would get to enjoy hearing high school coaches tell you "Come on that's a college rule!"

"Yes, exactly coach."
Well unless we play NFL rules, we would hear so from of that anyway. College rules are often not even understood by college coaches and even college coaches try to argue with officials about rules that do not apply to the NCAA but to NF. I had several situations where a coach wanted us to apply a high school rule to a college game. It is kind of funny when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Though I didn't understand why Texas football had to be so special as to not follow the rules that every other high school sport in the state did, I did not mind that we called under NCAA rules. I think it is the better ruleset but I'm also not about to advocate that other states adopt it.
Well again that is a subjective point of view. It is different, but better? Well not sure I agree with that point of view. Again there are so many exception to things where NF is straight forward. Now you can say some things make no sense, but at least there are not the amount of exceptions that you have to know. And officials screw them up at the college level often and I do not think I want have brand newer officials messing up simple applications the way experienced officials have issues doing at the college level.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 23, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Different, yes, better, not necessarily.

Football is a great, but very complex game, involving serious physical contact, played by participants between ages 6 to 60+. It seems reasonable there would be separate codes focusing on rule adjustments to accommodate the significant maturity and skill capabilities.

Do Interscholastic players, generally posses the skills to comprehend the complexities of the game at the same level Collegiate or Professional players do? There are clearly obvious physical differences between the 3 major levels.

Should HS students receive the same instruction material as those in Undergraduate or Post Graduate study programs? Participation in certain sports activities share the progressive learning process practiced in general "learning".

The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. It's really not about establishing an easier, or shorter, path for officiating progress. That path already exists and the obstacles and pot holes existing are, to some degree, designed and intended to challenge the travelers.