The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Enforcement of defensive holding- NFL

This one is driving me nuts because no matter how much I look this one up I have yet to find an explanation, even in the NFL rule book.

Routinely, I'll see a 5 yard defensive holding added to the end of a positive play rather than simply declined like any defensive offside or other minor defensive penalty would be.

Yet, this doesn't happen every time. At the end of a long play by the Steelers tonight, a 5 yard defensive holding was declined rather than added to the end of the run.

I can find nothing anywhere stating that a defensive holding penalty is unique in any way in this fashion.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on if it happens during a running play or passing play. If it happens during a running play, it is tacked on to the end of the run. If it happens during a passing play, it has to be enforced from the previous spot.
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambr2 View Post
This one is driving me nuts because no matter how much I look this one up I have yet to find an explanation, even in the NFL rule book.

Routinely, I'll see a 5 yard defensive holding added to the end of a positive play rather than simply declined like any defensive offside or other minor defensive penalty would be.

Yet, this doesn't happen every time. At the end of a long play by the Steelers tonight, a 5 yard defensive holding was declined rather than added to the end of the run.

I can find nothing anywhere stating that a defensive holding penalty is unique in any way in this fashion.
If during a pass play...enforcement is from the previous spot. If during a running play, it's tacked on from the end of the run (if the play doesn't end behind the LOS).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.