The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Friday night I was working a game with a new official in our crew. He was our linesman. During the 3rd quarter the wide out leaves the huddle and goes out of bounds and stands beside his coach. After a few seconds he steps back in and stands behind the linesman who happens to be standing about 15 ft. in the field of play. I thought it looked like an act of deception because the defense never even noticed the player standing about a yard into the field of play. I killed it and went and reported it as an act of deception. Our referee said this was legal because he was within 15 yds of the huddle when the ready for play whistle was sounded. He waved my flag off and no harm was done. Could he have been flagged for going out of bounds on his own and returning to the field of play? Does this rule only apply to after the snap or can it be applied when offence is set?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Smile My 2 cents...

Dead ball foul for illegal substitution. A player cannot leave the field and then return during the same dead-ball period.

Plus, a 5 yarder is a good warning... A 15 yarder is a little severe in this situation.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Mike, you are right. Kill the play and call it illegal substution.

Archer, help the new guy out and make sure he starts on the sidelines. There is no reason to be 15 ft on the field. Most new guys feel they need to be close to the play, but this play shows that they can miss things going on behind them.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Illegal substitution but...

I would give serious consideration to substitution with intent to decieve - 15 yards USC! 9-6-4c
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by archer
Friday night I was working a game with a new official in our crew. He was our linesman. During the 3rd quarter the wide out leaves the huddle and goes out of bounds and stands beside his coach. After a few seconds he steps back in and stands behind the linesman who happens to be standing about 15 ft. in the field of play. I thought it looked like an act of deception because the defense never even noticed the player standing about a yard into the field of play. I killed it and went and reported it as an act of deception. Our referee said this was legal because he was within 15 yds of the huddle when the ready for play whistle was sounded. He waved my flag off and no harm was done. Could he have been flagged for going out of bounds on his own and returning to the field of play? Does this rule only apply to after the snap or can it be applied when offence is set?
If I’m reading NF 9-6-4c right I believe you could blow this dead and hit them with an illegal participation
:It is illegal participation: To use a player, replaced player or substitute in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or free kick.

I really think a 5 yarder is too lenient here guys. This sounds like a classic “sleeper” play to me I’d lay odds that it was intentional .