The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Review at end of 1Q - Arkansas and Missouri

Arkansas scores a TD at the end of the first quarter, seemingly as time expires. Not that it matters much, but for the sake of completeness, they are charged with a false start on the PAT. They kick the 25 yard PAT without issue.

After the timeout, WH announces that the previous play is under review to determine if there should be time left. A couple moments later, he says there should be 2 seconds on the clock and they switch the teams around to kick in the opposite direction. He also said something else that seemed to be an explanation, that I didn't quite catch.

They certainly didn't have the replay official review the touchdown play after the PAT was kicked, did they?
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

That confused me, as well, since I did not think that a timing error such as that could be corrected after the succeeding snap. This COULD fall under the category of "egregious timing error" since it involves a change of quarter.
At least they got the call correct, although I think that they could have quietly adjusted the clock after buzzing down to the WH, since it involved a score.
My thought on it is, while you want replay to be the guy that makes sure that things are done correctly, you don't want replay to be the Sheldon Cooper of football. The way they did it at that particular situation made it like Sheldon Cooper. Nobody should want to be that.
(For those who aren't familiar, Sheldon is the highly annoying and completely socially inept character from "The Big Bang Theory" TV show.)
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't see the play, but I would not classify what has been described here as an 'egregious error' by any standpoint.

Rogers had said that replay can - and should - fix this timing error because it mayy have a significant impact on the kickoff (ie into the wind or against), but they should have done that when they were reviewing the scoring play. After the PAT is kicked, it is too late to go back and review again.