The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 01, 2015, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Recruitment and Retention of Officials

I was nominated to be on a committee in my state about the recruitment and retention of sports officials for HS across all sports and levels. I am trying to connect with as many resources as I can to get ideas on how we can recruit new officials, and how we can keep them around. What I am hoping to get from the forum are ideas that you guys (and ladies) do in your area.

Some ideas I've had already:
1. Call the local college coaches to see who they cut this year. This gives the players a chance to stick around the game and make some money on the side.

2. I am a teacher at a high school and I have made an announcement in my classes about getting people to sign up. I got 4 juniors/seniors to sign up so far for my local HS association.

4. One group in our area buys ads on TV and the local radio. Said that actually got people to the first meeting.

3. I saw on Facebook that one state waives the signup fee for 1-3 year officials who are retired or active military.

I'm hoping there are some awesome ideas out there that our state hasn't tried that could help us with our dilemma. I know we aren't the only state going through it. Any help would be very much appreciated.

PS if you officiate another sport you may see a similar thread on another forum. I am trying to reach as many people as possible. I officiate basketball but I am trying to reach as many officials as possible through this site to maximize the number of officials who can offer ideas. I apologize If you have already read and replied.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2015, 02:36pm
Official & ***** Member

Our state is offering officiating classes as an elective in some high schools.
Old Tue Dec 01, 2015, 04:27pm
Chain of Fools

Check your area college intramural directors. Most are running officiating as a part of it.

If you have military bases nearby, contact their MWR office.

For radio, I would target sports talk shows or stations. Don't forget the good ole newspaper too.