The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pregame topic - kicking game (https://forum.officiating.com/football/100255-pregame-topic-kicking-game.html)

BEAREF Tue Oct 27, 2015 08:11am

Pregame topic - kicking game

Our crew will be working a state semi final game in a couple weeks. Our white hat is taking a different approach on the pregame and has assigned each of us a topic to lead the discussion with.... mine is the kicking game.

I'd appreciate your ideas on points that could/should be included in the discussion.

Thanks!

jTheUmp Tue Oct 27, 2015 08:48am

Congrats on the Prep Bowl assignment. (PM me which game you're working... if my schedule works out I plan on attending at least some of the games)

Two big ones:
  • Onside kick coverages/responsibilities
  • Scrimmage kicks that do not cross the NZ or are recovered behind the NZ (especially since the game is being played outdoors and the winds inside the stadium can be a bit weird)

Good Luck.

Scuba_ref Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21pm

The three requirements for PSK.

CT1 Wed Oct 28, 2015 09:15am

A kick is a kick is a kick, until possessed or dead by rule.

The Roamin' Umpire Wed Oct 28, 2015 09:43am

The proper signal for a touchback. :D

SC Official Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:15am

First touching and penalty enforcement options when first touching is involved.

HLin NC Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:58am

Fair catch, awarded fair catch, invalid signal, illegal signal.
Enforcement for KCI.

scrounge Wed Oct 28, 2015 03:06pm

* touchbacks and how force is not a consideration on kicks heading towards R's end zone (hint: is a muffed punt that crosses the GL and recovered by K a touchback or a K TD?)

* the differences in KCI rules for HS vs other levels

* how KCI rules differ for free kicks vs scrimmage kicks

* when can K advance a scrimmage kick

* invalid, valid, and illegal fair catch signals

* if a receiver gives a fair catch signal, what happens if someone else catches it? Is that 2nd receiver protected from KCI?

BoomerSooner Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 968702)
* if a receiver gives a fair catch signal, what happens if someone else catches it? Is that 2nd receiver protected from KCI?

Isn't any R player in position or attempting to move into position to catch a kick afforded protection from KCI?

scrounge Fri Oct 30, 2015 07:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 968750)
Isn't any R player in position or attempting to move into position to catch a kick afforded protection from KCI?

Exactly why I put this one on the list, an interesting one to look up. Forgot to include whether receiver is protected from contact as well, that's a key point to contrast.

BoomerSooner Fri Oct 30, 2015 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 968755)
Exactly why I put this one on the list, an interesting one to look up. Forgot to include whether receiver is protected from contact as well, that's a key point to contrast.

I think you are trying to make the point that the ball is dead regardless of who catches it if any member of R signals for a fair catch. If, for example, R1 signals for a fair catch and R2 makes the catch, the ball is dead upon R2's catch, but a fair catch is not awarded nor is R2 afforded protection from contact after the catch (although a late hit would still be possible since the ball is dead and the whistle should sound pretty quickly).

My point was that KCI occurs when K contacts R before R has an opportunity to make a catch regardless of whether a fair catch was or was not signaled.

scrounge Fri Oct 30, 2015 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 968758)
I think you are trying to make the point that the ball is dead regardless of who catches it if any member of R signals for a fair catch. If, for example, R1 signals for a fair catch and R2 makes the catch, the ball is dead upon R2's catch, but a fair catch is not awarded nor is R2 afforded protection from contact after the catch (although a late hit would still be possible since the ball is dead and the whistle should sound pretty quickly).

My point was that KCI occurs when K contacts R before R has an opportunity to make a catch regardless of whether a fair catch was or was not signaled.

Indeed....very interesting pre-game topic, since it's so rare but blows up spectacularly if it does happen and you're not prepared.