The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Ejectionable or not?

High School football scenario and result...what would you do?

Team A had what appeared to be 3-4 plays go against them during the first half of the game (inadvertent whistle, interception ruled simultaneous possession, and fouls.) Team B scores on last play of the half.

Middle of third quarter, Team A called for illegal formation on a play where they gained 15+ yards. Very next play Team A comes out in same exact formation and again called for illegal formation. This time they lost 7-10 yards on play...

Now the Coach of Team A comes out beyond the numbers to yell at the officiating crew about the formation being legal. Referee tried to explain to Coach of Team A why it was illegal. Coach wanted no part of it. Referee turns to begin play and Coach of Team A (still out above the numbers and inside the 25 yard line) yells "You guys need to stop screwing my kids!" Coach was assessed a 15 yard penalty and ejected.

Question...would you have ejected the coach for flagrant unsportsmanlike or just assessed the unsportsmanlike penalty?
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Not likely just for that comment, but I have no idea what else was going on in that game before or what other issues were being said. He might have gotten ejected for his overall behavior, not just the comment. And whether I would eject someone or not is not relevant. The coach rolled the dice with the wrong person and got popped. Shame on him.

You will never get a universal position on this or any unsporting act. We all bring different experiences and work for different people that may have addressed these issues directly and told their officials what to do and what to eject or address in these cases.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:55am
Chain of Fools

He is essentially questioning the integrity of the officials so he is eligible "to buy the whole cow".

For me, the totality of the circumstances would have to be considered, i.e. how loud was he, how bad had his behavior been prior, any prior warnings given, was there profanity included, etc.

He apparently picked a crew that was a little less willing to entertain any mitigating factors, his tough luck. I think our President calls that a "teachable moment".
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 11:16am
TODO: creative title here

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you put the official in a position where he or she has to make a decision about if something is usportsmanlike or not (or ejectable or not)... you might not like the decision the official makes.

IMHO... coming out onto the field, beyond the numbers, to berate the officiating crew is Unsportsmanlike in and of itself... the comment, especially if it was loud enough that "just a fan" heard it, is more than sufficient to send the coach packing.

If anything, he's lucky that his team didn't assessed TWO 15-yard penalties.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you put the official in a position where he or she has to make a decision about if something is usportsmanlike or not (or ejectable or not)... you might not like the decision the official makes.
Someone told me this a long time ago. "When you roll the dice, you just might crap out."

Peace
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

It's no different than I tell my employees at work--if you force me to make a decision you may not like what I come up with.
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Some really good advice I was given: When an irate coach storms WAY out onto the field demanding a discussion, he's going to get one. However the advice was to walk directly to the coach, and then past him (without stopping) to the sideline, stop, turn around and wait for him to come back to that sideline for whatever discussion follows.

Bringing the coach to you helps establish some level of control and an opportunity to somewhat collect your thoughts, as well as, bringing whatever follows back to the sideline eliminates further antics "on the field".
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Some really good advice I was given: When an irate coach storms WAY out onto the field demanding a discussion, he's going to get one. However the advice was to walk directly to the coach, and then past him (without stopping) to the sideline, stop, turn around and wait for him to come back to that sideline for whatever discussion follows.

Bringing the coach to you helps establish some level of control and bringing whatever follows back to the sideline eliminates further antics "on the field".
That only works if he is yelling at the wing and if I am the Referee (WH) in this situation, I am not giving and explanation in the middle of the game about an illegal formation. And all of that would also only work when you are done doing your responsibilities as a wing. It is possible the wing did not have time to explain anything to them. Coaches have to be smarter. It is not our job to control their behavior. They control their own behavior.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 01:08pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Very next play Team A comes out in same exact formation and again called for illegal formation.
Apparently this coach has a learning disability.

I only have to touch the stove once to know its hot.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

As an R I would have had a flag when the coach comes out to the numbers yelling about a call, if somehow my sideline official did not. So then if he continues, and questions our integrity, he would likely get a second USL and be gone. But if he learns for the 1st flag and does not continue, he stays in the game.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 12:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

Bringing the coach to you helps establish some level of control and an opportunity to somewhat collect your thoughts, as well as, bringing whatever follows back to the sideline eliminates further antics "on the field".

I missed the part where the U steps off 15 while you walk the coach back. Cause no HS coach is saying that without getting a flag.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

As a number of others have said, this could go either way. I have no problem with the direct ejection here; I would also have no problem with a "simple" flag for USC. (No flag here, on the other hand, would be a big problem.)
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I missed the part where the U steps off 15 while you walk the coach back. Cause no HS coach is saying that without getting a flag.
In this described instance, I was presuming the first flag had been thrown, and was referencing how to possibly
avoid needing a second flag. As suggested, I don't "walk the coach back" he has to decide to follow, and I'll wait for him (somewhat) to make that decision (which tends to improve his receptiveness, regarding any subsequent discussion) .

Last edited by ajmc; Fri Oct 30, 2015 at 12:06pm.