The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   timing error (https://forum.officiating.com/football/100229-timing-error.html)

crazyaboutsport Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:34am

timing error

Team A is attempting a field goal with 5 seconds in the second quarter showing on the clock. The clock does not show tenths. The ball was snapped from the 12 yard line. The kick was no good and after the play had ended, there were 4 seconds left on the game clock. As the referee, I know that the play took more than one second but I do not know how long it did take. What options do I have?

ajmc Wed Oct 21, 2015 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyaboutsport (Post 968270)
Team A is attempting a field goal with 5 seconds in the second quarter showing on the clock. The clock does not show tenths. The ball was snapped from the 12 yard line. The kick was no good and after the play had ended, there were 4 seconds left on the game clock. As the referee, I know that the play took more than one second but I do not know how long it did take. What options do I have?

considering that the human element, and all it's potential benefits and failings, is such an important part of the game, if the game clock stopped at, and reads, 4 seconds, the obvious choice is limited to a touchback, 1st & 10, on r's 20 yard line.

It may be worth a discussion with the clock operator during the ensuing half time intermission (or not).

jpgc99 Wed Oct 21, 2015 08:02am

The SJ should have 0 on his watch.

jTheUmp Wed Oct 21, 2015 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 968281)
The SJ should have 0 on his watch.

Or the B in a 5-person crew.

FYI, football game clocks aren't supposed to show tenths of a second, but it seems like most of them around here do, and nobody's apparently smart enough to figure out how to turn that feature off.

CT1 Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 968284)
FYI, football game clocks aren't supposed to show tenths of a second, but it seems like most of them around here do, and nobody's apparently smart enough to figure out how to turn that feature off.

Maybe they're not supposed to show tenths, but I like for them to show. It prevents the arguments we used to have when the clock showed 0:00, but the horn hadn't sounded.

Suudy Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 968288)
Maybe they're not supposed to show tenths, but I like for them to show. It prevents the arguments we used to have when the clock showed 0:00, but the horn hadn't sounded.

Better still, get rid of the horn.

Robert Goodman Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyaboutsport (Post 968270)

The best option is to realize that whether there's 4 secs. left or some other length of time greater than 0 but less than 4 secs. will be of no consequence, & take no action.