The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quick question I do basketball and softball and football is my weakest sport because I only have three years in.The question is I was doing a youth football game with Fed. rules.The green team won the toss and deferred.They said they wanted to kick off.Well I was working flank and didn't notice that black kicked off instead.I guess the umpire or ref didn't notice either cause they let it happen.Who knows what ten year old kids told thier coaches was supposed to happen.The game was 7-6 green at halftime.When we got ready for the second half we all checked our cards and said black should kick off.The coaches of black went off!The white hat told the coach that he realized there was a mistake but he coudn't change it.I just want to know if he could have changed it before the secon half?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

The team that wins the toss and defers ("green") doesn't get to choose whether it kicks or receives to start the first half.

The team that has first option in the first half ("black") can choose to receive, kick, or defend a goal. You didn't specify what they chose, but it sounds like they chose to kick, since that's what they did.

No matter what black chooses, when the second half starts, green has the first option to receive, kick, or defend a goal. The black team will be kicking off again if green chooses to receive.

[Edited by jfurdell on Sep 11th, 2003 at 05:45 PM]
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

My interpretation is the only time he could possibly have changed it was before the first down after the kickoff. That is based upon 3-5-11 which is the rule that allows for correction of the misapplication or misinterpretation of a rule.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Ed has it right.. It is unfortunet but as officials, someone needs to pay attention to that.. If you can't get the kickoff right, scary what else was missed. Ref should have signalled the results of the flip and the coaches should have been watching that as well. So if they missed that they are just as much to blame.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra58
...The question is I was doing a youth football game with Fed. rules.The green team won the toss and deferred.They said they wanted to kick off...
Blue,
Everyone is right on what should of happened by the rules. Working on the wings, I bring in the team and make sure I know what the coach wants to do. As a referee, I ask the coach what he wants to do if he wins the toss and I write it down. Then I guide the players to make the right choice. Help the kids when you can...

Good luck and Have fun.

David
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0kkni/footballvideo/
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

making choices clear to all is paramount !!!
you're dealing with young kids and if we
as adults can get confused-- imagine how they
can be mixed up !!!
remember the pro game years ago
when the captain chose to kick off
in an OT period ???????
spell out those options if
you are the white hat----
and umpires---- help out
(as we usually do)
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
making choices clear to all is paramount !!!
you're dealing with young kids and if we
as adults can get confused-- imagine how they
can be mixed up !!!
remember the pro game years ago
when the captain chose to kick off
in an OT period ???????
spell out those options if
you are the white hat----
and umpires---- help out
(as we usually do)
Thing is they did that on purpose. The coach thought he could stop them with his defense and get good field position. Don't think he is working there any more.

Whenever they choose to kick-off try to get them to choose an end of the field instead. If they pick kick-off then the other team gets the ball at the end they want. You might even leave out the option to kick or at least give it last. Like Defer, Receive, Defend a Goal, Kick.