LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wilson Ball Wax Bar

Game Football Prep Kit | Wilson Football

Legal or not? Site Rule please.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard about this before....essentially similar process to what the liquid glove conditioner does to leather baseball/softball gloves when they get old and start drying out.

I am not in a position to address "legality" per se, but I would assume that if this is done well enough before the game, all you are doing is reconditioning a ball to return it closer to it's original condition and usefulness. No harm no foul, as long as it isn't crazy tacky/sticky.

If someone whips this out in the middle of a game and starts running this tack wax all over it after the game balls were approved or after the game has started....then I think you certainly may have an issue on your hands.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Tue Sep 01, 2015 at 01:00pm.
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

The Game Football Prep Kit is a wax bar and brush used to treat and condition leather to extend the life of game footballs. The wax bar provides tack and the durable brush can withstand rough application and buffing. This process will ensure maximum tack for added gripability.

Supposed to be used to get a ball ready to play, makes it tacky!
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Every brand new game ball made of leather (or rubber for that matter) that I have had taken out of the wrapper in front of me is tacky. It's likely the same tack wax they treat the balls with at the factory before shipping and keeps the leather from drying out while in shipping/storage. Also the reason they are delivered inside those thin grocery bag looking bags, to keep from drying out.

As mentioned.....unless it is over-tackified to an officials discretion and/or the application is being done in front of said officials during a game, you will likely not know of it having been done in the first place.

Have you seen and felt a brand new game ball in the last 5 years??? My guess is a big no.