Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Of Captains and Coin Tosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

You guys handle the toss 20 min before game time? Where do you do it, and what is the reason for this?
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 04:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm in Wisconsin and we do the same - right after we meet the coaches.

Why not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm in Wisconsin and we do the same - right after we meet the coaches.

Why not?

Other than "Why not" is there a specific mindset or reason for doing it at that point in time that you know of?

I just see no issue with the traditional time for doing it.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 04:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Teams tend to go in here after the toss. Anthem and announcing the teams tend to take us right to our start time and we're always on time with the kickoff.

Could just be one of those "we always did it that way" things.

Ohio's list is amazing. I don't need a BJ, for example, running up EVERY time to tell me we're not extending a quarter. There are a few others that provoke a mild eye roll. Guess I'm just a pretender. Good list to discuss with the crew, though.

Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Teams tend to go in here after the toss. Anthem and announcing the teams tend to take us right to our start time and we're always on time with the kickoff.

Could just be one of those "we always did it that way" things.

Ohio's list is amazing. I don't need a BJ, for example, running up EVERY time to tell me we're not extending a quarter. There are a few others that provoke a mild eye roll. Guess I'm just a pretender. Good list to discuss with the crew, though.

Yah..I had the same reaction to a couple of things. But whatever works for them.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
You guys handle the toss 20 min before game time? Where do you do it, and what is the reason for this?
The reason is simple...because the coaches wanted to know whether they are kicking or receiving earlier. If they could convince Columbus to hold the coin toss on Monday, they would.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 02:22pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
because the coaches wanted to know whether they are kicking or receiving earlier
Strange, virtually 99.9% of the coaches we have ever talked to here all say "Nah, let the kids do it" when offered the option for the early toss.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 02:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Strange, virtually 99.9% of the coaches we have ever talked to here all say "Nah, let the kids do it" when offered the option for the early toss.
The kids do it, on the field, at about 6:35PM - 6:40PM for the 7PM kickoff. No different than if we did it just before kickoff...except for the timing.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 02:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

In Texas it was up to the coaches and nearly to a one they wanted the early toss before kickoff. We'd do it off the field between the captains and then do the mock toss before kickoff (have to keep the tradition you know).

Here in my area in CA it is always a live toss just before kickoff.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Captains

Sometimes Rules can be annoying, but you might want to consider;

NFHS 2-32-5: A captain of a team is a player designated to represent his team during:

a. The pregame and overtime coin toss (limit of 4 captains in game uniform).

b. Penalty decisions following fouls.

c. Ball placement on a try, Kick-off, after a safety, after a Fair Catch or awarded FC, after a touchback and to start an overtime.
visiti
NFHS 3-2-1 through 4; Defines the Coin-Toss procedure, identifying the captains as the designated team spokespersons and allows for the procedure to be conducted either on the field or as "otherwise specified by individual State associations".
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 09:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

What does this have to do with this thread?

We do the toss with the captains, as do most everyone else....but I already know what the coaches want from our pregame meeting.

Oh, and we get penalty decisions from the coaches. Nothing anyone says here will change that, either.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does this have to do with this thread?

We do the toss with the captains, as do most everyone else....but I already know what the coaches want from our pregame meeting.

Oh, and we get penalty decisions from the coaches. Nothing anyone says here will change that, either.
On this board, as well as other boards, there has been considerable suggestions that decisions for both/either issues be handled EXCLUSIVELY between coaches and officials, bypassing and/or ignoring captains.

Sometimes it can be a worthwhile effort to refresh what the rules ACTUALLY suggest.

With a minimum of effort and common sense, it's entirely doable to inconspicuously involve both coaches AND captains in decisions, so you get BOTH the right decision without ignoring an/or disrespecting the captain.

But if, "NOTHING anyone says here will change that" then there may not be much point in listening, to anything.
Old Thu Aug 13, 2015, 06:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

I split this off from the original thread. Feel free to continue arguing about captains here.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I've been a white hat for over 30 years and this is what we do:

1) Walk on to the field 30 minutes before the game, meet the coaches and walk the field
2) Coin flip at mid-field with the captains--coaches appear to want this done early
3) No mock flip--coaches say they have better things to do right before the game and I personally think it is a waste of time

If there is something special going on we are always adaptable.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2015, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

In Oregon our mechanic is to meet for the coin toss 3 minutes prior to kick-off. As far as I know the entire state does this without exception. I actually wish we would do it earlier. We frequently get delayed by late or long national anthems, late player introductions, or just plain disorganization of the home announcer.

IMO earlier is better.