Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 09:40pm
AremRed

Yes.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. Can you elaborate?
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:18pm
Official Fiveum Member

It sounded like there was a whistle blown when the ball handler was way out at the top of the key prior to her "drive". The ball would become dead at that point. I think that was what the lead was trying to get people to understand. And if that wasn't the case, it looks like #15 fouled the ball handler prior to the shot anyway.

Last edited by Hugh Refner; Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 10:21pm.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. There were six simultaneous games in the gym. That whistle was from one of the adjacent games. Afterward he signals player 15.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:31pm
NFHS Official

Since the foul was called on 15 I can live with no shots.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
Thank you. There were six simultaneous games in the gym. That whistle was from one of the adjacent games. Afterward he signals player 15.
I'm putting her on the line
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 10:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Thank you. Can you elaborate?
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the whistle for this foul is the one I hear when Lead puts his arm up. I didn't know there was confusion about which whistle was which, I thought it was clear.

Contact by #15 is marginal, this should be a good bucket and foul on #21. I can see why he would wave off the shot if he got #15 for the foul, but he would be incorrect in doing so.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, based on his decision to whistle 15 for a foul, the rest of it he handled correctly in terms of administration.

But I agree with AremRed: Score the basket and award one free throw for the foul on 21.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

If the foul was called on #15 White the goal should have counted. The BH/D had started her shooting motion. She didn't dribble again after the whistle so continuous motion was still in play.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes it should be a shooting foul.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 12:00am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If the foul was called on #15 White the goal should have counted. The BH/D had started her shooting motion. She didn't dribble again after the whistle so continuous motion was still in play.
I agree however I think most refs (myself included) are really bad at giving a shooting foul that close to the gather due to the lengthy time and distance before the release. Incorrect by rule, but I see it happen a lot.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I agree however I think most refs (myself included) are really bad at giving a shooting foul that close to the gather due to the lengthy time and distance before the release. Incorrect by rule, but I see it happen a lot.
I was waiting for someone else to say that

If the calling official just waits a beat after blowing his whistle he might have gotten it right. It would have given him time to process:

*She stopped dribbling...
*10 feet from the basket...
*With no teammates in sight, therefore...
*What the heck else was she going to do other than shoot?

Also, had he switched after the foul his partner might have been able to give him a nudge in the right direction by gently - and quietly - asking, "Are we counting that?"

If he still was going to (incorrectly) call it a non-shooting foul he really needed to be less nonchalant about waving off the goal. The way he did it tells me he had an "oh crap, that wasn't supposed to happen" moment when the ball went in.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 01:01am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I was waiting for someone else to say that

If the calling official just waits a beat after blowing his whistle he might have gotten it right. It would have given him time to process:

*She stopped dribbling...
*10 feet from the basket...
*With no teammates in sight, therefore...
*What the heck else was she going to do other than shoot?

Also, had he switched after the foul his partner might have been able to give him a nudge in the right direction by gently - and quietly - asking, "Are we counting that?"

If he still was going to (incorrectly) call it a non-shooting foul he really needed to be less nonchalant about waving off the goal. The way he did it tells me he had an "oh crap, that wasn't supposed to happen" moment when the ball went in.
It really is amazing what whistle timing can do for you. I've noticed my call percentages go up as I wait for the play to finish and then decide whether I need a whistle. There are lots of plays that start out as marginal (like the OP play) and develop into something more obvious that needs calling.

I'm not totally sure that suggesting a change to your partner during a switch is a good idea. If you want him to get it as shooting you should get to him before he leaves the area to go report and have a brief chat there. Plus given the narrow-minded view of continuation by most coaches I doubt the opposing coach would be very happy in getting your partner to change his call so late on something that looks like NBA-length continuation.

Lead in the OP does need to sell it better, but perhaps it's perfect for the level of play that he desires to work.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It really is amazing what whistle timing can do for you. I've noticed my call percentages go up as I wait for the play to finish and then decide whether I need a whistle. There are lots of plays that start out as marginal (like the OP play) and develop into something more obvious that needs calling.

I'm not totally sure that suggesting a change to your partner during a switch is a good idea. If you want him to get it as shooting you should get to him before he leaves the area to go report and have a brief chat there. Plus given the narrow-minded view of continuation by most coaches I doubt the opposing coach would be very happy in getting your partner to change his call so late on something that looks like NBA-length continuation.

Lead in the OP does need to sell it better, but perhaps it's perfect for the level of play that he desires to work.
It's not really suggesting, it's just planting a seed. On the flip side...during a camp I attended this month there was a play similar to the OP. I was T and my partner - who is one of my mentors - made the call at L (3-person). As she walked past me while we're switching she says, so only I can hear, "You have her shooting?" I said yes, she reported it as a shooting foul and we lined them up. No long conversation. One quiet question, one quiet answer. She wasn't completely sure so she asked.
Closed Thread