The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FitBit (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99977-fitbit.html)

bas2456 Wed Jul 22, 2015 06:22pm

FitBit

I wore my new FitBit device while officiating this past weekend...logged more than 13,000 steps during my six games!

Anyone else wearing one of these types of things and keeping track of your stats?

crosscountry55 Wed Jul 22, 2015 08:05pm

Does it chart your CCs, ICs and NCIs, too? :D

Nevadaref Wed Jul 22, 2015 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 965134)
I wore my new FitBit device while officiating this past weekend...logged more than 13,000 steps during my six games!

Anyone else wearing one of these types of things and keeping track of your stats?

I hope that you are wearing it around your ankle and perhaps covered by a sock.

I would never wear something such as this on my wrist, which we wouldn't permit a player to wear on the court.

Rich Wed Jul 22, 2015 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 965140)

I would never wear something such as this on my wrist, which we wouldn't permit a player to wear on the court.

I carry mine in my pocket. It does well in a back or front pocket.

However, I don't buy the "we wouldn't let players wear it" nonsense. I'm not a player.

Scooby Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:08pm

We would not let a player wear a whistle around his neck. That would be dangerous.

bas2456 Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:19pm

Quote:

I wasn't planning on wearing it during the high school season. Nor was I planning on keeping my beard past October :D

Camron Rust Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:41pm

Quote:

What we wear has no connection to what players are permitted to wear. We're not players.

Or, if the requirements are the same, are you suggesting that you'd allow players to wear lanyards?

Adam Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 965141)

However, I don't buy the "we wouldn't let players wear it" nonsense. I'm not a player.

Agreed. I wear my wedding ring on the court. I do so because it's authorized wear, and it's a pain in the neck to remove.

Mark Padgett Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 965146)
Agreed. I wear my wedding ring on the court. I do so because it's authorized wear, and it's a pain in the neck to remove.

Don't you mean pain in the finger?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 965141)

Read the NFHS Officials Manual. We are only allowed to wear a wedding band. I don't even wear mine when I officiate because I was officiating long before I married my wonderful, intelligent, smart, and beautiful "better half".

MTD, Sr.

Welpe Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 965154)
I don't even wear mine when I officiate because I was officiating long before I married my wonderful, intelligent, smart, and beautiful "better half".

MTD, Sr.

So was I but I wear mine. I even wore a pink wrist band when my first daughter was born. All my assigner said was congrats and wanted to know how soon we could get her working on the court.

I've not had the chance to wear my FitBit (FitBit one which I wear on the waist) on the court but I've worn it working football and baseball. What was interesting for baseball was seeing how many flights of stairs it registered me climbing due to what I guess was the squatting I was doing while working the plate.

Rich Thu Jul 23, 2015 06:45am

The NFHS manual is a guide, it's not the law. Many states don't even use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raymond Thu Jul 23, 2015 07:39am

My question is why WOULD an official wear a FitBit on his wrist if he could instead keep it somewhere concealed?

BatteryPowered Thu Jul 23, 2015 07:52am

We are "allowed" to wear rings on the court. However, if you watch the officials work the top games you will notice that none of them wear jewelry of any kind on the court. One told me that his wife convinced him that there wasn't a high school student on the planet that would hit on him or try to pick him up at any time...much less during a basketball game so he didn't need to advertise that he was taken.

The only thing I wear is a medic alert necklace...under my compression shirt.

Rich Thu Jul 23, 2015 07:57am

We're talking about summer basketball, right? Worked by officials wearing shorts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk